PEMBERTON, a village, a township, a chapelry, and a sub-district, in Wigan parish and district, Lancashire. The village stands near the Lancashire and Yorkshire railway, 2½ miles W of Wigan; and has a station with telegraph on the railway, and a post-office under Wigan. The township comprises 2,868 acres. Real property, £31,319; of which £19,370 are in mines. Pop. in 1851, 5,252; in 1861, 6,870. Houses, 1,314. The chapelry is more extensive than the township; contains Newtown, Smithy-Brook, Goose-Green, and Lamberhead-Green; and was constituted in 1838. Pop. in 1861, 8,853. Houses, 1,696. There are several good modern residences, an ancient half-timbered hall, coal-mines, stone-quarries, brick manufactories, cotton mills, and a famous spring. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Chester. Value, £300. Patron, the Rector of Wigan. The church was built in 1832, and is a large brick edifice. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists, a mechanics' institute, four national schools, and charities £14. The sub-district contains also two other townships. Acres, 6,263. Pop., 10,435. Houses, 2,007.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
Local studies information is held at Wigan library.
Details about the census records, and indexes for Pemberton.
|St Cuthbert, Pemberton, Roman Catholic|
The Register Office covering the Pemberton area is Wigan and Leigh.
"PEMBERTON is a township and village in the parish of wigan, two miles W.S.W. of that town, in which are several extensive coal mines, and Hawkley-hall, the residence of the Rev. W. Molineux, a very ancient building. The number of inhabitants in the township, in 1821, was nearly 4,000."
Royal National and Commercial Directory and Topography of the county of Lancashire - Pigot & Co. 1828
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Pemberton to another place.
"PEMBERTON, a township and chapelry in the parish of Wigan, hundred of West Derby, county Lancaster, 2½ miles W. of Wigan, its post town. It is a station on the Lancashire and Yorkshire railway. The township comprises the hamlets of New Town, Smithy Brook, Robin Lane End, Goose-Green, Kit-Green, Marsh-Green, and Lamberhead-Green. There are several collieries, stone-quarries, brick-kilns, and cotton-mills, which give employment to the chief portion of the inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Chester, value £300, in the patronage of the Rector of Wigan. The church, dedicated to St. John, has a tower containing one bell. It was built in 1832. The parochial charities produce about £14 per annum, of which £7 goes to a school. There are three schools for both sexes, respectively situated at Lamberhead Green, Goose Green, and Marsh Green. Hawkeley Hall, now a farmhouse, is a timber building of great antiquity."
In 1835 Pemberton was a township in the parish of Wigan.
You can see the administrative areas in which Pemberton has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
View maps of Pemberton and places within its boundaries.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD563046 (Lat/Lon: 53.536344, -2.660209), Pemberton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)