PENKETH, a township in Prescot parish, Lancashire; on the Sankey canal, the Warrington and Runcorn-Gap railway, and the river Mersey, at Fidler's ferry, 3½ miles W S W of Warrington. It has a station on the railway, a post-office under Warrington, a brewery, Quaker and Wesleyan chapels, and a national school. Acres, 1,048. Real property, £3,117. Pop. in 1851, 679; in 1861, 784. Houses, 141.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
Details about the census records, and indexes for Penketh.
The Register Office covering the Penketh area is Warrington.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Penketh to another place.
"PENKETH, a township in the parish of Prescot, hundred of West Derby, county Lancaster, 3 miles W. of Warrington, its post town. It is a station on the Warrington, Runcorn, and St. Helen's railway. The village is situated near the Sankey canal and Fidlers' Ferry, on the river Mersey. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agriculture. There is a brewery. The Friends have a school in the neighbourhood."
In 1835 Penketh was a township in the parish of Prescot.
You can see the administrative areas in which Penketh has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
View maps of Penketh and places within its boundaries.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ563872 (Lat/Lon: 53.379439, -2.658134), Penketh which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)