Pennington in Furness
PENNINGTON, a parish in Ulverston district, Lancashire; near the Furness railway, 1¾ mile W S W of Ulverston. It has a post-office under Ulverston. Acres, 2,767. Real property, £18,436; of which £7,500 are in mines, and £2,732 in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 489; in 1861, 879. Houses, 163. The increase of pop. arose from extension of mining operations. The property is subdivided. The manor belongs to the Pennington family. Iron ore is very largely mined. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £260.* Patron, the Duchy of Lancaster. The church was rebuilt in 1825. There is a parochial school.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
Local studies information is held at Cumbria Record Office & Local Studies Library, Barrow.
Details about the census records, and indexes for Pennington in Furness.
The Register Office covering the Pennington in Furness area is Ulverston.
Pennington parish from Mannix & Co., History, Topography and Directory of Westmorland, 1851.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Pennington in Furness to another place.
"PENNINGTON, a parish in the hundred of Lonsdale North of the Sands, county Lancaster, 1½ mile W. of Ulveston, its post town, and 3 miles N.E. of Dalton. The village, which is of small extent, is chiefly agricultural. Some of the inhabitants are employed in the iron-ore mines at Lindale Moor and Carkettle. The soil is of a sandy and marly nature, with a gravelly subsoil. Above a third of the parish was formerly in common, but was enclosed under an Act obtained in 1821. Blue slate is abundant. The impropriation belongs to the Arabic Professorship in the University of Oxford. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle, value £204, in the patronage of the Duchy of Lancaster. The church, dedicated to St. Michael, has a tower containing two bells. It was rebuilt in 1825 at an outlay of £550. The register dates from 1623. The parochial charities produce about £3 per annum, which goes to Fell's school. There is a parochial school for both sexes. Lord Muncaster is lord of the manor."
You can see the administrative areas in which Pennington in Furness has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
View maps of Pennington and places within its boundaries.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD258787 (Lat/Lon: 54.199081, -3.138549), Pennington in Furness which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)