Hide

Prescot

hide
Hide

PRESCOT, a town, a township, a parish, a sub-district, and a district, in Lancashire. The town stands 2 miles N E of Huyton r. station, 2 N W of Rainhill r.station, and 8 E by N of Liverpool; is a seat of petty sessions; publishes a weekly newspaper; carries on extensive manufacture of watch-movements, watch-tools, and files; participates in the coal trade; contains breweries and manufactories of coarse earthenware and sanitary tubes; and has a head post-office, a town hall, a church, three dis-senting chapels, a Roman Catholic chapel, a grammar school, a public lending library, a floral and horticultural society, a harmonic society, several endowed alms-houses, and aggregate charities £898. The town includes all P. township, and part of Eccleston township. Pop. in 1851, 7,393; in 1861, 6,066. Houses, 1,204. The township comprises 270 acres. Real property, £15,224; of which £1,500 are in mines, and £60 in gas-works. Pop. in 1851, 6,393; in 1861, 5,130. Houses, 1,015. Pop. in 1851, 46,527; in 1861, 63,540. Houses, 11,288. The living of Prescot is a vicarage in the diocese of Chester. Value, £1,200.* Patron, Kings College, Cambridge. more ...

John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)

Hide
topup

Archives & Libraries

Local studies information is held at Knowsley library.

topup

Census

topup

Church History

topup

Civil Registration

The Register Office covering the Prescot area is Prescot.

topup

Description & Travel

You can see pictures of Prescot which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland

"PRESCOT, a parish, post and market town, in the hundred of West Derby, county Lancaster, 8 miles E. of Liverpool, 51 S. of Lancaster, and 2 from the Huyton station on the Liverpool and Manchester branch of the London and North-Western railway. This parish, which is very extensive, is situated on the edge of a rich coal field, and is traversed by the road from Liverpool to Manchester and by the Liverpool and Manchester railway, which latter passes about a mile S. of the town. It comprises St. Helen's, Eccleston, Farnworth, Parr, Rainford, Rainhill, Great Sankey, Whiston, Sutton, Windle, Peasley Croft, and seven other townships. The town of Prescot, consisting chiefly of one long straggling street, is a petty sessions town, and received a charter for a market and fair in the 7th year of Edward III. The sessions for the Prescot division of the hundred are held at the new court-house on the first and third Tuesdays in every month, and at the townhall of St. Helen's on the alternate Tuesdays. The town is well built, and is celebrated for its manufacture of watch movements, tools, and coarse earthenware, which are carried on to a great extent. There are also cotton and flax mills, and collieries, potteries, and glass works in the immediate vicinity. The town contains a townhall, commercial bank, savings-bank, union poorhouse, and police station. The Poor-law Union of Prescot embraces 20 chapelries and townships. A court-baron is held six times a year, and a courtleet on the festival of Corpus Christi, when a coroner for the manor and liberty is appointed. Above half the land is in pasture. The impropriate tithes belong to the Provost and Fellows of King's College, Cambridge. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chester, value £760, in the patronage of King's College, Cambridge. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient stone structure, with a modern tower and spire 156 feet high, and containing eight bells.

1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland

"THE POTTERIES, a hamlet in the parish of Prescot, hundred of West Derby, county Lancaster, 8 miles E. of Liverpool. So named from the potteries established here."

1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland

"HAIGH GREEN, a hamlet in the parish of Prescot, county Lancaster, 4 miles S. of Prescot."

topup

Genealogy

ENG-LAN-PRESCOT is an e-mail list for Prescot genealogy.

topup

Historical Geography

In 1835 the parish of Prescot contained the townships of Prescot, Rainford, Windle, Parr, Eccleston, Sutton, Whiston, Rainhill, Bold, Cronton, Ditton, Widnes, Cuerdley, Penketh and Great Sankey.

You can see the administrative areas in which Prescot has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

History

Some information about the history of Prescot.

topup

Maps

image

View maps of Prescot and places within its boundaries.

View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ466925 (Lat/Lon: 53.426913, -2.804743), Prescot which are provided by:

topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law

The Workhouse site has an interesting description of Prescot workhouse.

topup

Probate Records

For probate purposes prior to 1858, Prescot was in the Archdeaconry of Chester, in the Diocese of Chester. The original Lancashire wills for the Archdeaconry of Chester are held at the Lancashire Record Office.

topup

Societies

You can also see Family History Societies covering the nearby area, plotted on a map. This facility is being developed, and is awaiting societies to enter information about the places they cover.