PRESCOT, a town, a township, a parish, a sub-district, and a district, in Lancashire. The town stands 2 miles N E of Huyton r. station, 2 N W of Rainhill r.station, and 8 E by N of Liverpool; is a seat of petty sessions; publishes a weekly newspaper; carries on extensive manufacture of watch-movements, watch-tools, and files; participates in the coal trade; contains breweries and manufactories of coarse earthenware and sanitary tubes; and has a head post-office, a town hall, a church, three dis-senting chapels, a Roman Catholic chapel, a grammar school, a public lending library, a floral and horticultural society, a harmonic society, several endowed alms-houses, and aggregate charities £898. The town includes all P. township, and part of Eccleston township. Pop. in 1851, 7,393; in 1861, 6,066. Houses, 1,204. The township comprises 270 acres. Real property, £15,224; of which £1,500 are in mines, and £60 in gas-works. Pop. in 1851, 6,393; in 1861, 5,130. Houses, 1,015. Pop. in 1851, 46,527; in 1861, 63,540. Houses, 11,288. The living of Prescot is a vicarage in the diocese of Chester. Value, £1,200.* Patron, Kings College, Cambridge. more ...
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
Local studies information is held at Knowsley library.
Details about the census records, and indexes for Prescot.
|St Mary, Prescot, Church of England|
|Atherton St Unitarian, Prescot|
|Our Lady Immaculate & St Joseph Roman Catholic, Prescot|
The Register Office covering the Prescot area is Prescot.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Prescot to another place.
"THE POTTERIES, a hamlet in the parish of Prescot, hundred of West Derby, county Lancaster, 8 miles E. of Liverpool. So named from the potteries established here."
"HAIGH GREEN, a hamlet in the parish of Prescot, county Lancaster, 4 miles S. of Prescot."
ENG-LAN-PRESCOT is an e-mail list for Prescot genealogy.
You can see the administrative areas in which Prescot has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Some information about the history of Prescot.
View maps of Prescot and places within its boundaries.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ466925 (Lat/Lon: 53.426913, -2.804743), Prescot which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)