RAMSBOTTOM, a small town and a chapelry in Bury parish, Lancashire. The town stands on the river Irwell and on the East Lancashire railway, 4 miles N of Bury; was the place where the first Sir Robert Peel established calico-printing; carries on cotton spinning, calico-printing, machine-making, rope-making, and iron and brass founding; is governed by a local board, under the act of 1858; and has a post-office under Manchester, a railway -station with telegraph, a commodious inn, a police station, a church, four dis-senting chapels, a Roman Catholic chapel, a public school, an athenæum, a public library, and an Odd Fellows' hall. The church was built in 1850, at a cost of £3,400; was enlarged shortly before 1868; is in the early English style; and has a memorial window to the late Lord Palmerston, and a tower and spire. The Presbyterian chapel was built in 1834; is a handsome edifice, in the pointed style; and has a lofty pinnacled tower. The chapelry was constituted in 1844. Pop. in 1861, 4,134. Houses, 798. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £170. Patron, alternately the Crown and the Bishop.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
Local studies information is held at Bury library.
Details about the census records, and indexes for Ramsbottom.
|Manchester Rd, Ramsbottom, United Reformed|
|Cemetery Rd Cemetery, Ramsbottom|
|Bolton Street, Ramsbottom, Primitive Methodist|
|Market Place Wesleyan Methodist, Ramsbottom|
|Patmos United Methodist Free Church, Ramsbottom|
|St Andrew, Ramsbottom, Presbyterian|
|St Joseph, Ramsbottom, Roman Catholic|
The Register Office covering the Ramsbottom area is Bury.
David Greenhalgh has extracted entries from Pigot's 1828 Directory.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Ramsbottom to another place.
"RAMSBOTTOM, a village and ecclesiastical district in the parish of Bury, hundreds of Blackburn and Salford, county Lancaster, 4 miles N. of Bury, and 9 N.W. of Manchester. It is a station on the East Lancashire section of the Lancashire and Yorkshire railway. It is situated near the rivers Irwell and Roche, and forms a suburb of the town of Bury. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Manchester, value £710, in the patronage of the crown and bishop alternately. The church is a modern structure. The Wesleyans have a place of worship."
You can see the administrative areas in which Ramsbottom has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD790169 (Lat/Lon: 53.648178, -2.319162), Ramsbottom which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)