REDDISH, a township and a chapelry in Manchester parish, Lancashire. The township lies on the Stockport and Staleybridge railway, near the river Tame at the boundary with Cheshire, 2 miles N by E of Stockport; and has a station on the railway . Post-town, Stockport. Acres, 1,541. Real property, £8,444. Pop. in 1851, 1,218; in 1861, 1,363. Houses, 280. There are some handsome modern residences, inhabited by manufacturers of Stockport. There are also three cotton mills, print-works, and a paper manufactory. The chapelry is much more extensive than the township, was constitutedin 1864, and is called Heaton-Reddish. Pop., about 6,000. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £200. Patrons, Trustees. The church was built in 1864, at a cost of £2,500; and is in the decorated English style.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
Details about the census records, and indexes for Reddish.
|St Agnes, North Reddish, Church of England|
|St Elisabeth Church of England, Reddish|
|St Mary, Reddish, Church of England|
|Christ Church United Reformed, Reddish|
|Aspinal, Gorton, Wesleyan Methodist|
|Christ Church Methodist, Reddish|
|Reddish Green Methodist , Reddish, Wesleyan Methodist|
|St Joseph, Reddish, Roman Catholic|
The Register Office covering the Reddish area is Stockport.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Reddish to another place.
"REDDISH, a township in the parish of Manchester, hundred of Salford, county Lancaster, 2 miles N. of Stockport, and 5 S.E. of Manchester. It is a station on the Stockport and Staleybridge branch of the London and North-Western railway. The village, which is considerable, is situated near the canal. A portion of the inhabitants are employed in the cotton and paper mills."
In 1835 Reddish was a township in the parish of Manchester.
You can see the administrative areas in which Reddish has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
View maps of Reddish and places within its boundaries.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ895933 (Lat/Lon: 53.436632, -2.159167), Reddish which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)