RISHTON, a village and a township in Blackburn parish, Lancashire. The village stands near the East Lancashire railway and the Leeds and Liverpool canal, 3½ miles N E by E of Blackburn; and has a station on the railway, and a post-office under Blackburn. The township contains also the hamlet of Tottleworth, and comprises 2,760 acres. Real property, £6,044; of which £1,128 are in mines and £231 in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 800; in 1861, 1,198. Houses, 215. The manor belongs to H. Petre, Esq. There are a large cotton factory, a large reservoir, collieries, and fire-brick works.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
Local studies information is held at Accrington library.
Details about the census records, and indexes for Rishton.
|Derby St, Rishton, Congregational|
|Albert Street, Rishton, Methodist|
|Mary St, Rishton, United Methodist|
|School St, Rishton, Primitive Methodist|
|St Charles Borromeo, Rishton, Roman Catholic|
The Register Office covering the Rishton area is Hyndburn and Rossendale.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Rishton to another place.
"RISHTON, a township in the parish of Blackburn, lower division of the hundred of Blackburn, county Lancaster, 3 miles N.E. of Blackburn. It is a station on the East Lancashire railway. The village, which is considerable, is situated on the Blackburn and Burnley turnpike-road, and near the Leeds and Liverpool canal. There is an extensive reservoir. A portion of the inhabitants are engaged in the collieries, stone-quarries, and in the neighbouring cotton-mills. Fire-bricks are made in this township. The soil consists of peat sand and clay, with a subsoil of stone and clay. Henry Petre, Esq., is lord of the manor."
In 1835 Rishton was a township in the parish of Blackburn.
You can see the administrative areas in which Rishton has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
View maps of Rishton and places within its boundaries.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD716303 (Lat/Lon: 53.76815, -2.432211), Rishton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)