RUMWORTH, a township in Deane parish, Lancashire; 2 miles W S W of Bolton. Acres, 1,300. Real property, £7,504; of which £1,000 are in mines. Pop.in 1851, 1,386: in 1861, 1,861. Houses, 391. The increase of pop. arose from the erection of a cotton-mill and of weaving sheds. Whitebank and Rhuddylan House are chief residences. There are a Wesleyan chapel, and charities £40.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
Details about the census records, and indexes for Rumworth.
The Register Office covering the Rumworth area is Bolton.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Rumworth to another place.
"RUMWORTH, a township in the parish of Deane, hundred of Salford, county Lancaster, 3 miles S.W. of Bolton. In this township are situated the village and parochial church of Deane, on the road from Bolton to Liverpool. There is a school endowed by James Crompton in 1636, with land now producing £37 per annum."
RUMWORTH: This township or parish was in Lancashire. It was in Deane ecclesiastical parish and in Bolton poor law Union. In 1872 part of it was added to Bolton Borough In 1894 the remainder was renamed Deane township or parish. In 1898 Deane parish became part of Bolton Borough.
In 1835 Rumworth was a township in the parish of Deane.
You can see the administrative areas in which Rumworth has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
View maps of Rumworth and places within its boundaries.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD687079 (Lat/Lon: 53.566515, -2.473555), Rumworth which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)