RUSHOLME, a township in Manchester parish, Lancashire; on the Manchester and Macclesfield railway, 2½ miles S by E of Manchester. Acres, 956. Real property, £32,495. Pop. in 1851, 3,679; in 1861, 5,380. Houses, 986. The limits include a considerable suburb of Manchester, and the chapelry of Birch. R. House and R. Park are chief residences. A Wesleyan chapel, a cruciform edifice in the Gothic style, was built here in 1863, at a cost of £4,000.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
Local studies information is held at Manchester central library.
Details about the census records, and indexes for Rusholme.
|Holy Trinity Church of England, Rusholme|
|St Chrysostom, Victoria Park, Church of England|
|St James Church of England, Birch in Rusholme|
|St David, Victoria Park, Welsh Congregational|
|Wilmslow Rd, Rusholme, Congregational|
|Claremont Road, Primitive Methodist, Rusholme|
|Daisy Bank Road Welsh Calvinist Methodist, Victoria Park|
|Dickenson Rd Wesleyan Methodist, Rusholme|
|Moor St, Rusholme, Primitive Methodist|
|Platt Chapel Unitarian, Rusholme|
|St Edward the Confessor, Rusholme, Roman Catholic|
The Register Office covering the Rusholme area is Manchester.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Rusholme to another place.
"RUSHOLME, a township in the parish of Manchester, hundred of Salford, county Lancaster, 2 miles S.E. of Manchester, its post town, and 5 from Stockport. The village, which is large, forms a suburb of Manchester, and in the neighbourhood are numerous gentlemen's seats. An Act of Parliament was obtained in 1837 for laying out and maintaining an ornamental park within this and the adjoining townships of Chorlton-upon-Medlock and Moss-side. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Manchester. The church is a modern structure."
"BIRCH, an extensive village in the township of Rusholme, and the parish of Manchester, hundred of Salford, in the county palatine of Lancaster, 3 miles to the S. of Manchester, of which it forms a suburb. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Manchester, value £160, in the gift of Sir J. W. H. Anson, Bart. The church is dedicated to St. James. Birch Hall is the principal residence."
In 1835 Rusholme was a township in the parish of Manchester.
You can see the administrative areas in which Rusholme has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
View maps of Rusholme and places within its boundaries.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ860952 (Lat/Lon: 53.453199, -2.211798), Rusholme which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)