SCOTFORTH, a village and a township in Lancaster parish, Lancashire. The village stands near the Lancaster and Preston railway, 1¾ mi1e S of Lancaster; and contains a number of genteel houses. The township includes the hamlet of Langthwaite, and comprises 2,764acres. Real property, £6,117; of which £30 are in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 693; in 1861, 955. Houses, 193. Greaves House and Parkfield are chief residences. There is a small endowed school.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
Local studies information is held at Lancaster library.
Details about the census records, and indexes for Scotforth.
The Register Office covering the Scotforth area is Lancaster.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Scotforth to another place.
"SCOTFORTH, a township in the parish of Lancaster, hundred of Lonsdale South of the Sands, county Lancaster, 1½ mile S.E. of Lancaster, its post town. It is an extensive village, situated on the line of the Preston railway, and may be considered a suburb of Lancaster. There is a small endowed school for children of both sexes. Parkfield is the principal residence."
In 1835 Scotforth was a township in the parish of Lancaster.
You can see the administrative areas in which Scotforth has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
View maps of Scotforth and places within its boundaries.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD492590 (Lat/Lon: 54.024218, -2.77644), Scotforth which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)