SHARPLES, a township and a sub-district in Bolton-le-Moors parish, Bolton district, Lancashire. The town-ship lies 2½ miles N of Bolton; and contains the villages of Banktop, Sweet-Loves, High-Houses, Gale, Folds, Belmont, Piccadilly, Water-Meetings, Old Houses, and part of Astley-Bridge. Acres, 3,920. Real property, £14,697; of which £302 are in mines. Pop. in 1851, 3,904; in 1861, 3,294. Houses, 697. There are cotton mills, calico print-works, extensive bleach-works, large reservoirs of Bolton water-works, the churches of Belmont and Astley-Bridge, Baptist and Wesleyan chapels, and national and British schools. The sub-district contains also the higher end or detached part of Little Bolton township. Pop. with S. township, in 1861, 4,243. Houses, 872.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
Local studies information is held at Bolton library.
Details about the census records, and indexes for Sharples.
The Register Office covering the Sharples area is Bolton.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Sharples to another place.
"SHARPLES, a township in the parish of Bolton-le-Moors, hundred of Salford, county Lancaster, 2 miles N. of Bolton. This populous township comprises the villages of Astley Bridge, Bank Top, and several others. In the vicinity are the Birton waterworks for supplying the town of Bolton. Many of the inhabitants are employed in the cotton mills and bleaching establishments. The substratum abounds in coal."
"SWEET LOVES, a village in the township of Sharples, parish of Bolton-le-Moors, county Lancaster, 3 miles N. of Bolton. The inhabitants are employed in the neighbouring collieries and cotton mills."
"PICCADILLY, a village in the township of Sharples, parish of Bolton le Moors, county Lancaster, 2 miles N. of Bolton-le-Moors."
"OLDHAMS, a village in the township of Sharples, parish of Bolton le Moors, county Lancaster, 4 miles E. of Chorley."
"FOLDS, a village in the township of Sharples, parish of Bolton le Moors, county palatine Lancaster, 5 miles E. of Chorley."
"BELMONT, a hamlet in the parish of Bolton-le-Moors, hundred of Salford, in the county palatine of Lancaster, 4 miles from Chorley. The living is a perpetual curacy, of the value of £120, in the patronage of the Vicar of Bolton."
"BANK-TOP, (or Hill-top), a village in the township of Sharples, and parish of Bolton-le-Moors, in the hundred of Salford, in the county palatine of Lancaster, 4 miles to the N. of Bolton."
"ASTLEY-BRIDGE, a hamlet in the chapelry of Sharples, parish of Bolton-le-Moors, and hundred of Salford, in the county palatine of Lancaster, 3 miles to the N. of Bolton, its post town. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Manchester, value £150, in the gift of the crown and the Bishop of Manchester."
In 1835 Sharples was a township in the parish of Bolton.
You can see the administrative areas in which Sharples has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
View maps of Sharples and places within its boundaries.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD687156 (Lat/Lon: 53.636337, -2.475346), Sharples which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)