SKERTON, a suburban village and a township-chapelry in Lancaster parish, Lancashire. The village is suburban to Lancaster; communicates with that town by a five-arched bridge, across the river Lune; and has a post-office under Lancaster, and a police station. The chapelry comprises 1,186 acres. Real property, £6,179; of which £90 are in fisheries. Pop., 1,556. Houses, 317. The property is subdivided. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £100. Patrons, Trustees. The church is a neat building, with a pinnacled tower. There is an endowed school with £12 a year.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)