SUTTON, a township and a chapelry in Prescot parish, Lancashire. The township lies around Sutton-Oak, Lea-Green, and St. Helens Junction r. stations, 2½ miles S of St. Helens; and has a post-office under St. Helens. Acres, 3,616. Real property, £44,146; of which £9,147 are in mines, £170 in canals, £2,640 in railways, and £1,601 in gasworks. Pop. in 1851, 5,288; in 1861, 9,223. Houses, 1,588. There are numerous good residences. Coal, ironstone, limestone, and potters' clay are worked; and there are glass-works, bottle-works, cobalt and zaffer-works, copper-smelting-works, earthen-ware works, drain-pipe works, grease and varnish-works, an oil-refinery, and watch-movement manufactures. A county lunatic asylum also is here. The chapelry includes only part of the township, and was constituted in 1848. Pop. in 1861, 4,071. Houses, 755. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chester. Value, £716. Patron, Kings College, Cambridge. The church is in the pointed style. There are a Wesleyan chapel and national schools.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
Local studies information is held at St Helens library.
Details about the census records, and indexes for Sutton.
|All Saints, Sutton, Church of England|
|Emmanuel,Thatto Heath, Church of England Lancashire|
|St Matthew, Thatto Heath, Church of England|
|St Michael and All Angels, Sutton, Church of England|
|St Nicholas Church of England, Sutton|
|St Anne and Blessed Dominic Roman Catholic, Sutton|
|St Austin, Thatto Heath, Roman Catholic|
|St Joseph, Peasley Cross, Roman Catholic|
|St Theresa of the Child Jesus, Sutton, Roman Catholic|
The Register Office covering the Sutton area is St Helens.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Sutton to another place.
"SUTTON, a township in the parish of Prescot, hundred of West Derby, county Lancaster, 3 miles N.E. of Prescot, its post town, and 1½ mile S.E. of St. Helen's. It is a station on the St. Helen's Junction railway. It is a considerable village, situated near the Sutton incline on the Liverpool and Manchester railway. Many of the inhabitants are employed in the collieries, limestone quarries, glass works, and in the manufacture of watch movements and earthenware. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chester, value £560, in the patronage of King's College, Cambridge. The parochial charities produce about £7 per annum."
"PEASLEY CROSS, a station on the Ormskirk, St. Helen's, and Widnes railway, in the parish of Prescot, county Lancaster, three-quarters of a mile from St. Helen's, and 3 miles N.E. of Prescot."
In 1835 Sutton was a township in the parish of Prescot.
You can see the administrative areas in which Sutton has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
View maps of Sutton and places within its boundaries.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ518927 (Lat/Lon: 53.428878, -2.726444), Sutton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)