TATHAM, a parish in Lancaster district, Lancashire; 1 mile SE of Wennington r. station, and 4½ E of Hornby. It includes Tatham-Fell chapelry, and its Post town is Wray under Lancaster. Acres, 8,501. Real property, £5,519. Pop., 588. Houses, 115. The property is much subdivided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £300. Patron, J. Foster, Esq. The church is later English.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
Local studies information is held at Lancaster library.
Details about the census records, and indexes for Tatham.
The registers of the parish church, St James the Less, have been published by the Lancashire Parish Register Society as follows.
- Volume 59 - Bap & Mar 1558-1812, Bur 1558-1811.
- Volume 78 - Bap, Mar & Bur 1813-1837.
The Register Office covering the Tatham area is Lancaster.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Tatham to another place.
"TATHAM, a parish in the hundred of Lonsdale South of the Sands, county Lancaster, 12 miles N.E. of Lancaster, its post town, and 1 mile from the Wennington railway station. The village, which is considerable, is situated on the river Lune or Weaning. The parish includes the villages of Lowgill and Tatham Fell. There are some collieries, and traces of a Roman road. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Manchester, value £300. The church, dedicated to St. James, is an ancient structure with a steeple, erected in 1722, containing three bells. In the interior is a brass to the Cansfield family. There is also the district church of Tatham Fell, the living of which is a perpetual curacy, value £125. The parochial charities produce about £28 per annum. There is an endowed school. A manor court is held in May, at Hall Barns."
You can see the administrative areas in which Tatham has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
View maps of Tatham and places within its boundaries.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD648648 (Lat/Lon: 54.077498, -2.540127), Tatham which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)