Thornley with Wheatley
THORNLEY-WITH-WHEATLEY, a township in Chipping parish, Lancashire; 7½ miles W by S of Clitheroe. Acres, 3,179. Real property, £2,650; of which £76 are in quarries. Pop., 409. Houses, 82. The manor belongs to the Earl of Derby.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
Local studies information is held at Clitheroe library.
Details about the census records, and indexes for Thornley with Wheatley.
The Register Office covering the Thornley with Wheatley area is Ribble Valley.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Thornley with Wheatley to another place.
"THORNLEY-WITH-WHEATLEY, a township in the parish of Chipping, lower division of Blackburn hundred, county Lancaster, 2 miles from Longridge, and 7½ W. of Clitheroe. The township is situated on the river Load, under Long Ridge Fell. There are some lime works. A court leet is held at the Derby Arms. The Earl of Derby is lord of the manor and principal landowner."
"WHEATLEY, a township in the parish of Chipping, lower division of Blackburn hundred, county Lancaster, 8 miles S.W. of Clitheroe. It is situated on the river Lond, under Long Ridge Fell, and is joined to Thornley."
In 1835 Thornley with Wheatley was a township in the parish of Chipping.
You can see the administrative areas in which Thornley with Wheatley has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
View maps of Thornley and places within its boundaries.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD622404 (Lat/Lon: 53.858649, -2.575656), Thornley with Wheatley which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)