THORNTON, a township in Sephton parish, Lancashire; 6¾ miles N of Liverpool. Acres, 773. Real property, £2,401. Pop., 291. Houses, 55.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
Details about the census records, and indexes for Thornton.
The Register Office covering the Thornton area is Sefton South.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Thornton to another place.
"THORNTON, a township in the parish of Sefton, hundred of West Derby, county Lancaster, 6½ miles N.W. of Liverpool. On Thornton Green is an ancient cross. The Earl of Sefton is lord of the manor."
In 1835 Thornton was a township in the parish of Sefton.
You can see the administrative areas in which Thornton has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
View maps of Thornton and places within its boundaries.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD339018 (Lat/Lon: 53.5089, -2.998903), Thornton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)