THURNHAM, a township in Lancaster and Cockerham parishes, Lancashire; 4½ miles SSW of Lancaster. Acres, 1,219. Real property, £3,345. Pop., 717. Houses, 121. Much of the land belongs to Sir J. Fitzgerald, Bart. T. Hall is an ancient mansion. There are a handsome Roman Catholic chapel and an endowed school.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
Local studies information is held at Lancaster library.
Details about the census records, and indexes for Thurnham.
The Register Office covering the Thurnham area is Lancaster.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Thurnham to another place.
"THURNHAM, a township in the parishes of Lancaster and Cockerham, hundred of Lonsdale South of the Sands, county Lancaster, 4½ miles S.W. of Lancaster, its post town. The village is situated where the branch canal joins the river Lune, and contains the harbour of Lancaster called Glasson Dock; this last was constructed in 1787, and capable of containing 25 merchant vessels. A considerable traffic is carried on. Within the township are the remains of Cockersand Abbey, situated on a neck of land projecting into the sea, and adjoining the Cocker Sands, from which the abbey derived its name. The ruins consist of an octagonal chapter-house, with a roof supported on a single central column, now the sepulchral chapel of the Daltons. The Roman Catholics have a chapel and a school."
"CROOK-FARMS, a hamlet in the township of Thurnham, parishes of Lancaster and Cockerham, in the county of Lancaster, 4 miles S.S.W. of Lancaster. It is situated near the river Lune."
"GLASSON, an ecclesiastical district in the parishes of Lancaster and Cockerham, hundred of Lonsdale, county palatine of Lancaster, 5 miles S.W. of Lancaster, its post town. The Galgate station on the London and North-Western line of railway is about 3 miles S.E. of the village. It includes the township of Thurnham, also part of that of Ashton-cum-Stodday. Here are good docks capable of accommodating vessels not exceeding 400 tons burthen, The principal employments are in connection with the shipping. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Manchester, value £100, in the patronage of trustees. Christ Church is a plain stone edifice. There is a parochial school possessing an endowment of £10 per annum. Miss Elizabeth Dalton is lady of the manor. Within the limits of the district are several small places, which are extra parochial."
In 1835 Thurnham was a township in the parish of Cockerham.
You can see the administrative areas in which Thurnham has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
View maps of Thurnham and places within its boundaries.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD455550 (Lat/Lon: 53.987976, -2.833115), Thurnham which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)