Tonge with Haulgh
TONGE, a township, a chapelry, and a sub-district, in Bolton parish and district, Lancashire. The township lies 1¼ mile NE of Bolton r. station. Post town, Bolton. Acres, with Haulgh, 1,030. Real property, with Haulgh, £11,421; of which £800 are in mines and £375 in railways. Pop. of T. alone, 1,521. Houses, 287. The property is divided among a few. Cotton manufacture is carried on. Two kistvaens, an earthen urn, and some ancient armour were found in a barrow in 1821. The chapelry was constituted in 1845. Pop., 2,884. Houses, 524. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £187. Patron, alternately the Crown and the Bishop. The church is modern. Charities, £37. The sub-district contains four townships. Acres, 3,100. Pop., 7,156. Houses, 1,426.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
Local studies information is held at Bolton library.
Details about the census records, and indexes for Tonge with Haulgh.
|St Aidan, Tonge Moor, Church of England|
|St Augustine of Canterbury ,Tonge Moor, Church of England|
|St Chad, Tonge Fold, Church of England|
|Starkie Rd Congregational, Tonge Moor|
|St Columba, Tonge Moor, Roman Catholic|
The Register Office covering the Tonge with Haulgh area is Bolton.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Tonge with Haulgh to another place.
"TONGE-WITH-HAULGH, a township in the parish of Bolton-le-Moors, hundred of Salford, county Lancaster, 1 mile N.E. of Bolton. It is situated between the rivers Croal, Tong, and Bradshaw, and extends to the confines of the townships of Great and Little Bolton. Many of the inhabitants are employed in the cotton and spinning mills, and in the bleach works and paper mills. A barrow was opened near the canal in 1821, in which was discovered a bronze spear and other relics of antiquity. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Manchester, value £160, in the patronage of the crown and bishop alternately. The church is modern. The parochial charities-produce about £37 per annum. In this township is Hall-i'-th'-Wood, the ancient seat of the Starkie family, where Crompton completed his invention of the spinning "mule.""
"HAULGH-WITH-TONGE, a township in the parish of Bolton-le-Moors, hundred of Salford, county Lancaster, 2 miles N.E. of Bolton. The two villages of Haulgh and Tonge form a township, bounded by the rivers Croal, Tonge, and Bradshaw. The village of Haulgh, which is considerable, is included within the parliamentary borough of Bolton."
"HALL, (or Hall-in-the-wood), a hamlet in the parish and borough of Bolton-le-Moors, hundred of Salford, county Lancaster, 2 miles from Bolton. It was here Crompton, the weaver, lived, who invented the mule, being a combination of the spinning jenny and water-frame, as improved by Arkwright, and for which invention he received £5,000 from parliament."
In 1835 Tonge with Haulgh was a township in the parish of Bolton.
You can see the administrative areas in which Tonge with Haulgh has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
A description of Tonge with Haulgh in the 19th century.
View maps of Tonge Moor and places within its boundaries.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD729099 (Lat/Lon: 53.584566, -2.411456), Tonge with Haulgh which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)