Tottington Lower End
TOTTINGTON-LOWER-END, a township in Bury parish, Lancashire; 2½ miles NNW of Bury r. station. It contains Tottington and Holcombe chapelries, and is from 4 to 6 miles long. Acres, 5,038. Real property, £34,454; of which £75 are in quarries, and £200 in mines. Pop. in 1851, 10,691; in 1861, 11,764. Houses, 2,268. See Tottington and Holcombe.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
Local studies information is held at Bury library.
|Christ Church (The Jesse Haworth Memorial Church), Walshaw, Church of England|
|Emmanuel, Holcombe, Church of England|
|St Anne, Tottington, Church of England|
|St John, Tottington, Free Church of England|
|St Mary, Hawkshaw, Church of England|
Details about the census records, and indexes for Tottington.
|Dundee and Holcombe Brook Independent|
|Ebenezer Independent, Affetside|
|Holcombe Rd Congregational, Greenmount|
|Bolton Rd, Holcombe Brook, United Methodist Free Church|
|Bolton Road United Methodist Free Church, Hawkshaw|
|Bolton Road, Hawkshaw, Wesleyan Methodist|
|Market St Wesleyan Methodist, Tottington|
|Walshaw Rd, Walshaw, Wesleyan Methodist|
|Dundee Lane, Ramsbottom, Presbyterian|
|St Hilda, Tottington, Roman Catholic|
The Register Office covering the Tottington area is Bury.
David Greenhalgh has extracted entries from Pigot's 1828 Directory.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Tottington Lower End to another place.
"HOLCOMBE-NEXT-BURY, a village and district parish in the township of Tottington Lower End, and parish of Bury, county Lancaster, 3 miles W. of Bury, and 4 S. of Haslingden. This place, which is of recent growth, now forms a separate parish for ecclesiastical purposes, under Lord Blandford's Act. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in the extensive cotton factories and calicoprinting works. On Holcombe Common is a column to the memory of Sir Robert Peel. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Manchester, value £175, in the patronage of the Rector of Bury. The church, dedicated to Emmanuel, is a modern structure with a tower surmounted by a spire."
"TOTTINGTON LOWER END, a township in the parish of Bury, hundred of Salford, county Lancaster, 2½ miles N.W. of Bury, its post town. It was given by Charles II. to General Monk, Duke of Albemarle. The township, which contains numerous scattered hamlets, had a population in 1861 of 11,764. Many of the inhabitants are employed in the cotton mills and bleach works, which are extensively carried on. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Manchester, value £150, in the patronage of the Rector of Bury. The church is dedicated to St. Anne. The dissenters have several chapels, and there is a school with a small endowment. Dr. Wood, the mathematician, was born here."
In 1835 Tottington Lower End was a township in the parish of Bury.
You can see the administrative areas in which Tottington Lower End has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
A description of Tottington Lower End in the 19th century.
View maps of Tottington and places within its boundaries.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD774158 (Lat/Lon: 53.638536, -2.343183), Tottington Lower End which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)