TWISTON, a township in Whalley parish, Lancashire; 4½ miles E by N of Clitheroe. Acres, 849. Real property, £872. Pop., 141. Houses, 34.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
Local studies information is held at Clitheroe library.
Details about the census records, and indexes for Twiston.
The Register Office covering the Twiston area is Ribble Valley.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Twiston to another place.
"TWISTON, a township in the parish of Whalley, higher division of Blackburn hundred, county Lancaster, 5 miles N.E. of Clitheroe railway station, under Pendle Hill. Many of the inhabitants are engaged in the cotton-mills. The Duke of Buccleuch is lord of the manor."
In 1835 Twiston was a township in the parish of Whalley.
You can see the administrative areas in which Twiston has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
View maps of Twiston and places within its boundaries.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD817436 (Lat/Lon: 53.888554, -2.280202), Twiston which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)