The church has/had a graveyard.
It was founded before 1789.
Tyldesley's first place of worship, Top Chapel was built in the Square in 1789 on a site of 1,300 square yards, for the Countess of Huntingdon's sect which had broken away from the Church of England. John Wesley had preached in Shakerley laying the foundations for a place of worship in the area. Later in the 1780s George Whitfield who had worked with John Wesley earlier on in his ministry also preached in Shakerley. The local squire, Thomas Johnson, gifted land on the highest point of Tyldesley for a chapel and Lady Huntingdon, a supporter of John Wesley supplied money for the building materials. The chapel was completed in 1789 and became known as the Top Chapel due to its geographical location.
The Chapel became a Pentecostal Chapel in 1970 after being in decline for a number of years.
This site provides historical information about churches, other places of worship and cemeteries. It has no connection with the churches etc. themselves. For current information you should contact them directly.