UNSWORTH, a chapelry, with three hamlets, in Prestwich parish, Lancashire; 2½ miles SSE of Bury r. station. It has a post-office under Bury, and a fair on the last Monday of July. Pop., about 2,000. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £200. Patron, the Rector of Prestwich. The church was rebuilt in 1842. There are three dissenting chapels, and an endowed school with £20 a year.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
Details about the census records, and indexes for Unsworth.
The Register Office covering the Unsworth area is Bury.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Unsworth to another place.
"UNSWORTH, a chapelry in the parish of Prestwich, hundred of Salford, county Lancaster, 2½ miles S.E. of Bury, its post town, and 6 N.E. of Manchester, on the river Roach. The soil consists of clay and peat. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Manchester, value £150, in the patronage of the Rector of Prestwich. The church, dedicated to St. George, was rebuilt in 1842, and has a stained E. window. There is an endowed National school, at which a Sunday-school is held. The Independents, Wesleyans, and Primitive Methodists have each a chapel. A fair is held on the last Monday in July."
In 1835 Unsworth was a chapelry in the parish of Prestwich.
You can see the administrative areas in which Unsworth has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
View maps of Unsworth and places within its boundaries.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD825071 (Lat/Lon: 53.560251, -2.265796), Unsworth which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)