Hide

Upper Allithwaite

hide
Hide

ALLITHWAITE, two townships and a chapelry in Cartmel parish, Lancashire. The townships are Lower and Upper, and lie near Cark r. station. Acres, 2,360 and 3,710. Real property, £5,142 and £3,123. Pop., 933 and 729. Houses, 190 and 162. The chapelry was formed in 1865. Pop., 480. The living is a p. curacy. Value, £150. Patron, the Bishop of Carlisle

John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)

Hide
topup

Archives & Libraries

Local studies information is held at Cumbria Record Office & Local Studies Library, Barrow and at Kendal library.

topup

Cemeteries

topup

Churches

topup

Civil Registration

The Register Office covering the Upper Allithwaite area is Ulverston.

topup

Gazetteers

1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland

"LINDALE, a chapelry and post-office village in the parish of Cartmel, county Lancaster, 3 miles from Ulverston, and 4 N.E. of Cartmel. It is a station on the Furness, Ulverston, and Lancaster railway. It is situated on the river Kent. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Carlisle, value 280. The church has been rebuilt, and contains 115 free sittings. There is a National school for boys."

1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland

"UPPER ALLITHWAITE, (and Lower Allithwaite) townships in the parish of Cartmel, hundred of Lonsdale, in the county palatine of Lancaster, 2 miles to the N.E. of Cartmel. Allithwaite Lodge is the principal seat.

1870-72, John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales

LINDALE, a chapelry, with a hamlet, in Upper Allithwaite township, Cartmel parish, Lancashire; on the W side of the estuary of the Kent, adjacent to the Ulverston and Lancaster railway, 3 miles ENE of Cartmel. It has a station on the railway, and a post office under Newton-in-Cartmel. The acreage and pop. are returned with the township. Castle-Head, the seat of E. Mucklow, Esq., is the chief residence. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £71. Patron, the Duke of Devonshire. The church was rebuilt in 1828; consists of nave and chancel, with a small tower; and contains 300 sittings. There is a national school.
topup

Historical Geography

In 1835 Upper Allithwaite was a township in the parish of Cartmel.

You can see the administrative areas in which Upper Allithwaite has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

Maps

image

View maps of Upper Allithwaite and places within its boundaries.

View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD411830 (Lat/Lon: 54.239447, -2.904945), Upper Allithwaite which are provided by:

topup

Probate Records

For probate purposes prior to 1858, Upper Allithwaite was in the Archdeaconry of Richmond, in the Diocese of Chester. The original Lancashire wills for the Archdeaconry of Richmond are held at the Lancashire Record Office.

topup

Societies

You can also see Family History Societies covering the nearby area, plotted on a map. This facility is being developed, and is awaiting societies to enter information about the places they cover.