HOLKER (UPPER), a township in Cartmel parish, Lancashire; containing the chief part of Cartmel town; containing also Beckside hamlet; and extending northward to the river Leven. Acres, 6, 550. Real property, £5,726; of which £65 are in fisheries. Pop. in 1851, 1,134; in 1861, 1,035. Houses, 199. The decrease of pop. was caused by diminished employment in a reconstructed cotton mill, which required fewer hands than a previous one destroyed by fire. The manor belongs to the Duke of Devonshire. Gunpowder mills are at Low Wood. A charitable fund in this township arose from the purchase of five acres of land with 185½ guineas, found in the pocket of a travelling beggar, who died in a lodging house here in 1799.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
Local studies information is held at Cumbria Record Office & Local Studies Library, Barrow and at Kendal library.
Details about the census records, and indexes for Upper Holker.
The Register Office covering the Upper Holker area is Ulverston.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Upper Holker to another place.
In 1835 Upper Holker was a township in the parish of Cartmel.
You can see the administrative areas in which Upper Holker has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
View maps of Upper Holker and places within its boundaries.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD348811 (Lat/Lon: 54.221473, -3.000834), Upper Holker which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)