WALTON-ON-THE-HILL, a village and a township in West Derby district, and a parish partly also in Ormskirk district, Lancashire. The village stands near the Liverpool and Ormskirk railway, 3 miles N of Liverpool; and has a post-office under Liverpool, and a r. station. The township comprises 1,886 acres. Real property, £20,570; of which £100 are in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 2,469; in 1861, 3,598, of whom 679 were in Liverpool borough jail. Houses, 527. Villas are numerous, and in great variety. The Liverpool jail was erected between 1851 and 1861, and has capacity for 627 male and 429 female prisoners. A workhouse, on a site of 22 acres, was erected in 1864, at a cost of £33,000. A cemetery at Anfield comprises nearly 120 acres. The parish contains also Everton, Kirkdale, Bootle-cum-Linacre, Fazakerley, Kirkby, Simonswood, and Formby townships; includes considerable part of Liverpool borough; and is ecclesiastically divided into 36 sections, one of which is Walton-Breck in W. township, and the others of which are noticed in our articles on the other townships and on Edgehill and Liverpool. Acres, 29,233; of which 9,600 are water. Pop. in 1851, 46,302; in 1861, 85,058. Houses, 14,113. The head living, or St. Mary's, is a rectory and a vicarage, and the living of W.-Breck or Trinity is a p. curacy, in the diocese of Chester. Value of St. M., £1,300;* of T., £230. Patron of St. M., J. S. Leigh, Esq.; of T., J. Stock, Esq. St. Mary's church is Tudor; and that of Trinity is recent. There are several dissenting chapels, a Roman Catholic chapel, an endowed school with £47 a year, three national schools, and charities £309.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
Local studies information is held at Liverpool library.
Details about the census records, and indexes for Walton on the Hill.
The Register Office covering the Walton on the Hill area is Liverpool.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Walton-on-the-Hill to another place.
"WALTON-ON-THE-HILL, a parish in the hundred of West Derby, county Lancaster, 3 miles N.E. of Liverpool. It is a junction station on the Lancashire and Yorkshire railway. This parish, comprising 24,650 acres, includes the townships of Aintree, Bootle, Everton, Edgehill, Fazerkerly, Formby, Kirkby, Kirkdale, with its sessions house, Toxteth Park, West Derby, Stanley, and Simonswood, already mentioned under their several headings. In consequence of its proximity to the river Mersey and the Leeds canal, this place has recently vastly increased in population, forming an extensive suburban district to Liverpool, within which borough it is partly included."
"STANLEY, a hamlet in the district parish of St. Anne's, borough of Liverpool, county Lancaster, 2 miles E. of Liverpool. It contains the cattle market."
You can see the administrative areas in which Walton-on-the-Hill has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
View maps of Walton-on-the-Hill and places within its boundaries.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ365948 (Lat/Lon: 53.446083, -2.957232), Walton-on-the-Hill which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)