WAVERTREE, a village, a township, two chapelries, and a sub-district, in Childwall parish and West Derby district, Lancashire. The village stands 1½ mile SE of Edgehill r. station, and 3 ESE of Liverpool; has been much improved under a local board of health; is a place of resort for invalids; and has a post-office under Liverpool, a police station, public baths, and a reading room. The township comprises 1,796 acres. Real property, £36,743; of which £66 are in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 4,011; in 1861, 5,392. Houses, 910. The manor belongs to the Marquis of Salisbury. There are numerous good residences, two churches, a free church of 1869, two dissenting chapels, a Roman Catholic chapel, two national schools, two large breweries, and an extensive ropery. The two chapelries are Holy Trinity and St. Mary; and the former is a p. curacy, the latter a rectory, in the diocese of Chester. Value of each, £300. Patron of the former, the Vicar of Childwall; of the latter, the Bishop of Chester. The sub-district contains 4 townships. Acres, 7,448. Pop. in 1851, 7,415; in 1861, 10,845. Houses, 1,792.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)