WHISTON, a township in Prescot parish, Lancashire; on the Liverpool and Manchester railway, 1 mile S of Prescot. It has a post-office under Prescot; and it contains Prescot workhouse. Acres, 1,793. Real property, £10,867; of which £4,381 are in mines, and £135 in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 1,825; in 1861, 1,727, of whom 155 were in the workhouse. Houses, 318. A church was built here in 1865, at a cost of about £6,000; and is in the early English style, with tower and spire, 150 feet high. There are also a Methodist chapel and a national school.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
Details about the census records, and indexes for Whiston.
|Capel Siloh , Whiston, Welsh Methodist|
|Dragon Drive, Methodist, Whiston|
|Dragon Lane, Free Methodist, Whiston|
|Windy Arbor Road, Whiston, Wesleyan Methodist|
The Register Office covering the Whiston area is Knowsley.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Whiston to another place.
"WHISTON, a township in the parish of Prescot, hundred of West Derby, county Lancaster, 1 mile S. of Prescot, of which it is a suburb, and contains the Union poorhouse. The Liverpool and Manchester railway passes through the township by an inclined plane. There are extensive collieries."
In 1835 Whiston was a township in the parish of Prescot.
You can see the administrative areas in which Whiston has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Some information about the history of Whiston.
View maps of Whiston and places within its boundaries.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ471910 (Lat/Lon: 53.413135, -2.797748), Whiston which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)