WHITTINGHAM, a township in Kirkham parish, Lancashire; 5 miles NNE of Preston. Acres, 4,322. Real property, £4,741. Pop., 583. Houses, 195. W. House is the seat of J. L. Harrison, Esq.; and Gleadale House, of H. B. Jones, Esq. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
Local studies information is held at Preston library.
Details about the census records, and indexes for Whittingham.
The Register Office covering the Whittingham area is Preston and South Ribble
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Whittingham to another place.
"WHITTINGHAM, a township in the parish of Kirkham, county Lancaster, 4½ miles N.E. of Preston."
In 1835 Whittingham was a township in the parish of Kirkham.
You can see the administrative areas in which Whittingham has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
View maps of Whittingham and places within its boundaries.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD569369 (Lat/Lon: 53.826364, -2.656208), Whittingham which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)