Whittington, par. and vil., N. Lancashire - par., 4416 ac., pop. 346; vil., 2 miles SW. of Kirkby Lonsdale; P.O.; in vicinity is Whittington Hall, seat.
John Bartholomew, Gazetteer of the British Isles (1887)
Local studies information is held at Lancaster library.
Details about the census records, and indexes for Whittington.
The Register Office covering the Whittington area is Lancaster.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Whittington to another place.
"WHITTINGTON, a parish in the S. division of the hundred of Lonsdale, county Lancaster, 5 miles E. of Burton, and 12 N.E. of Lancaster. The parish, bordering on the river Lune, includes the townships of Docker and Newton. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Manchester, value £420. The charities produce about £45, including Margison's bequest of £18 for education."
"DOCKER, a hamlet in the parish of Whittington, hundred of Lonsdale South of the Sands, in the county of Lancaster, 4 miles S.W. of Kirkby Lonsdale."
You can see the administrative areas in which Whittington has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
View maps of Whittington and places within its boundaries.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD587758 (Lat/Lon: 54.176086, -2.634021), Whittington which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)