WHITTLE-LE-WOODS, a village, a township, and a chapelry, in Leyland parish, Lancashire. The village stands 2 miles E by S of Leyland r. station, and 6 SSE of Preston; is a scattered place; and has a postal pillar-box under Preston, and a large brewery. The township comprises 1,357 acres. Real property, £6,576; of which £80 are in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 2,310; in 1861, 2,151. Houses, 443. The decrease of pop. was caused by the stoppage of a manufactory. The property is sub-divided. Shaw Hall is the seat of T. B. Crosse, Esq. Medicinal springs were discovered in 1845; they arise from coal-borings, at a depth of 265 feet; they are much frequented by invalids and pleasure parties; and they gave rise to the erection of baths, a public hall, and a spacious hotel. The chapelry was constituted in 1830. Pop., 2,856. Houses, 587. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £150.* Patron, the Vicar of Leyland. The church was built in 1823.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
Local studies information is held at Chorley library.
Details about the census records, and indexes for Whittle le Woods.
The Register Office covering the Whittle le Woods area is Chorley.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Whittle-le-Woods to another place.
"HILL SOUTH, a hamlet in the hundred of Leyland, county Lancaster, 2 miles from Chorley. It is situated near the river Yarrow and the Leeds canal."
"WHITTLE-LE-WOODS, a township and chapelry in the parish and hundred of Leyland, county Lancaster, 2 miles N. of Chorley, on the Leeds canal. There are quarries of millstone and traces of lead, but the mine is no longer in operation."
In 1835 Whittle le Woods was a township in the parish of Leyland.
You can see the administrative areas in which Whittle-le-Woods has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
View maps of Whittle-le-Woods and places within its boundaries.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD582211 (Lat/Lon: 53.684679, -2.634021), Whittle-le-Woods which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- Lancashire Family History & Heraldry Society - Chorley Branch
- Lancashire Family History & Heraldry Society - Preston Branch
- Lancashire Parish Register Society