WINDLE, a township in Prescot parish, Lancashire; containing part of the town of St. Helens. Acres, 2,907. Real property, £87,101; of which £156 are in quarries, £2,950 in mines, £735 in iron-works, £45,449 in railways, and £400 in gasworks. Pop. in 1851, 9,370; in 1861, 12,229. Houses, 2,159. The manor belongs to Sir R. Gerard, Bart. A brewery is at Dentons-Green; large chemical works and an earthenware manufactory are at Gerard's Bridge; a cemetery of 20 acres, formed in 1857, and containing three mortuary chapels, is at Old Windeshaw; and national and Roman Catholic schools are at Moss-Bank.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
Local studies information is held at St Helens library.
Details about the census records, and indexes for Windle.
The Register Office covering the Windle area is StHelens.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Windle to another place.
"WINDLE, a township in the parish of Prescot, county Lancaster, 3 miles N.E. of Prescot, and 1 mile N. of St. Helen's. It is situated near the Sankey canal, and contains the hamlet of Hardshaw St. Helen's."
"MOSS BANK, a hamlet in the parish of Prescot, county Lancaster, 4 miles N.E. of Prescot, and 1¾ mile N. of St. Helen's. It is a station on the Ormskirk, St. Helen's, and Widnes railway."
In 1835 Windle was a township in the parish of Prescot.
You can see the administrative areas in which Windle has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
View maps of Windle and places within its boundaries.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ493977 (Lat/Lon: 53.473305, -2.764606), Windle which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)