WITHINGTON, a township and a chapelry in Manchester parish, Lancashire. The township lies 4 miles S of Manchester r. station; has a post-office under Manchester; and includes Fallowfield, which also has a post-office under Manchester. Acres, 2,498. Real property, £16,747. Pop. in 1851, 1,492; in 1861, 2,712, of whom 771 were in Chorlton workhouse. Houses, 347. The manor belongs to Lord Egerton. There are numerous villas and other good residences. Chorlton workhouse here was built in 1855, at a cost of about £53,000. The Lancashire Independent College also is here, but has been noticed in our article on Hulme. The chapelry was constituted in 1854. Pop., 2,775. Houses, 359. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £362. Patrons, Trustees. The church was built in 1841. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a national school.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
Local studies information is held at Manchester central library.
Details about the census records, and indexes for Withington.
|Holy Innocents, Fallowfield, Church of England|
|St Christopher, Withington, Church of England|
|St Crispin, Fallowfield, Church of England|
|St Paul, Withington, Church of England|
|Palatine Rd, Withington, Congregational|
|Victoria, Withington, Presbyterian|
|St Bernadette, Withington, Roman Catholic|
|St Cuthbert, Withington, Roman Catholic|
|St Kentigern Roman Catholic, Fallowfield|
The Register Office covering the Withington area is Manchester.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Withington to another place.
"WITHINGTON, a township -in the parish of Manchester, county Lancaster, 4 miles S. of Manchester, of which it is a suburb. The ecclesiastical district of St. Paul in 1861 contained 2,775 inhabitants."
In 1835 Withington was a township in the parish of Manchester.
You can see the administrative areas in which Withington has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
View maps of Withington and places within its boundaries.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ845936 (Lat/Lon: 53.438826, -2.235428), Withington which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)