WITTON, a township, a chapelry, and a sub-district, in Blackburn parish and district, Lancashire. The township lies ½ a mile N of Cherry-Tree r. station, and 1½ W by S of Blackburn; and contains large cotton mills. Acres, 650. Real property, £6,904. Pop. in 1851, 1,367; in 1861, 3,292. Houses, 664. The increase of pop. arose from increase of cotton mills. The manor, with W. Hall, belongs to J. Feilden, Esq. Billinge Hill is within the park, rises to an altitude of 900 feet, and commands a very extensive view. The chapelry extends beyond the township, and was constituted in 1842. Post town, Blackburn. Pop., 5,297. Houses, 1,041. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £300. Patron, the Vicar of Blackburn. The church was built in 1837, and is in the Norman style. The sub-district contains 4 townships. Acres, 6,190. Pop., 8,115. Houses, 1,580.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
Details about the census records, and indexes for Witton.
The Register Office covering the Witton area is Blackburn.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Witton to another place.
"WITTON, a township and ecclesiastical district in the parish and borough of Blackburn, county Lancaster, 2 miles N.W. of Blackburn. It is situated on the river Darwen and Liverpool canal."
In 1835 Witton was a township in the parish of Blackburn.
You can see the administrative areas in which Witton has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
View maps of Witton and places within its boundaries.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD662281 (Lat/Lon: 53.748033, -2.514211), Witton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)