PLUMPTON-WOOD, a village and a parochial chapelry in St. Michael-on-Wyre parish, Lancashire. The village stands near the Lancaster and Preston canal, 1¼ mile S W of Barton r. station, and 4¼ N W by N of Preston. The chapelry also contains the hamlets of Catforth, Eaves, Higher Plumpton, and Lower Bartle; and its post town is Preston. Acres, 4,722. Real property, £9,516. Pop. in 1851, 1,574; in 1861, 1,462. Houses, 292. The property is subdivided. The manor belongs to Birley, Esq. P.-W. House, P.-W. Lodge, Swilbrook House, Barnfield House, Hollowforth, and Bartle Hall are chief residences. Extensive tile and drain-pipeworks are at Eaves and Catforth. The living is a p.curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £175.* Patron, the Vicar of St. Michael-on-Wyre. The church is ancient, and was modernised in 1852. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a Primitive Methodist chapel, a Roman Catholic chapel, an endowed school with £23 a year, a small workhouse, and charities £24.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)