Wray with Botton
WRAY, a village, a township, a chapelry, and a sub-district, in Lancaster district, Lancashire. The village stands 1 mile ESE of Hornby r. station, and 10 NE of Lancaster; and has a post-office under Lancaster, and cattle fairs on Shrove Tuesday and 30 April. The township includes Botton hamlet, and comprises 6,506 acres. Real property, £4,072; of which £40 are in mines. Pop., 797. Houses, 154. The property is subdivided. The chapelry was constituted in 1842; and is in Melling parish. Pop., 878. Houses, 168. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £60.* Patrons, Trustees. The church was built in 1840. There are two Methodist chapels, a free school, and a subscription library. The sub-district contains six townships of Melling parish, and all Tatham. Acres, 28,953. Pop., 2,270. Houses, 447.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
Local studies information is held at Lancaster library.
Details about the census records, and indexes for Wray.
The Register Office covering the Wray area is Lancaster.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Wray with Botton to another place.
"WRAY, a township and ecclesiastical district in the parish of Melling, hundred of Lonsdale South of the Sands, county Lancaster, 10 miles N.E. of Lancaster, and 1 mile from Hornby railway station; there is also a station on the Lytham branch of the Lancashire and Yorkshire railway at Wray Green. (The gazetteer has got this wrong, Wrea Green is a township in the parish of Kirkham 30 miles away). The township includes the hamlet of Botton. The village is situated on the junction of the two small streams, Hindburn and Roeburn, and contains a silk mill and a manufactory. The living is a perpetual curacy, value £50, in the patronage of trustees. The church is dedicated to the Holy Trinity. Fairs are held on Shrove Tuesday and 30th April for cattle."
"BOTTON, a hamlet in the parish of Melling, and hundred of Lonsdale South of the Sands, in the county of Lancaster, 10 miles N.E. of Lancaster. It is situated near the river Hindburn and the Lancashire and Yorkshire railway. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in the silk mills and nail manufacture."
In 1835 Wray with Botton was a township in the parish of Melling.
You can see the administrative areas in which Wray with Botton has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
View maps of Wray and places within its boundaries.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD632637 (Lat/Lon: 54.067804, -2.563548), Wray with Botton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)