Ashby Parva


As described in 1877:
"ASHBY PARVA, a parish and a village in Guthlaxton Hundred, Lutterworth Union and County Court District. It is situated on a bold eminence, 3 miles N. by W. of Lutterworth,and 1 1/4 mile E.N.E. of Ullesthorpe Station, on the Midland Railway, and its parish contains 141 inhabitants, living in 43 houses, on 1357 acres of land. The soil is clay and gravel, and belongs to John Goodacre, Esq. (lord of the manor) and several smaller freeholders, most of whom are residents."
[White's "History, Gazetteer and Directory of the Counties of Leicester and Rutland, 3rd Edition," 1877]



  • The parish was in the Lutterworth sub-district of the Lutterworth Registration District.
  • The 1851 Census for Leicestershire has been indexed by the Leicestershire & Rutland Family History Society. The whole index is available on microfiche. The society has also published it in print and Volume 18 covers the Lutterworth District which includes Ashby Parva.
  • The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
Piece No.
1861 R.G. 9 / 2244
1871 R.G. 10 / 3220
1891 R.G. 12 / 2489

Church History

  • The Anglican parish church is dedicated to Saint Peter.
  • The church dates from the 14th or 15th century, but the precise date is unknown.
  • The church was repaired in 1842.
  • The church was restored and the chancel rebuilt in 1868.
  • The church tower was rebuilt in 1889.
  • The church seats 100.
  • John SALMON has a photograph of St. Peter's Church on Geo-graph, taken in April, 2013.

Church Records

  • The Anglican parish register dates from 1585 for baptisms; from 1695 for marriages and burials.
  • The church is in the rural deanery of Guthlaxton (second portion).
  • The Society of Genealogists holds copies of marriage records 1586 - 1754. These can be viewed at their Library in London.
  • The Congregationalists built a chapel here in 1868.

Civil Registration

  • Civil Registration began in July, 1837.
  • The parish was in the Lutterworth sub-district of the Lutterworth Registration District.

Description & Travel

Ashby Parva is a village and civil parish in Leicestershire, England. The parish lies 3 miles north by west of Lutterworth. The parish abuts Claybrooke parish to the west. Most of the parish land was used for pasturage. The parish covers about 1,370 acres.

If you are planning a visit:

  • By automobile, take the M1 motorway to Lutterworth and pass thru that town heading north to reach Ashby Parva village.
  • Mat FASCIONE has a photograph of the Village Sign on Geo-graph, taken in April, 2013.
You can see pictures of Ashby Parva which are provided by:




Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Ashby Parva has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.



  • The webpage author has found no mention of either a Hall or a Manor House.


  • See our Maps page for additional resources.

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SP526886 (Lat/Lon: 52.492783, -1.226711), Ashby Parva which are provided by:


Military History

  • John SALMON has a photograph of the War Memorial inside the parish church on Geo-graph, taken in April, 2013.

Politics & Government

  • This place was an ancient parish in Leicestershire and became a modern Civil Parish when those were established.
  • The parish is in the ancient Guthlaxton Hundred in the southern division of the county.
  • On 26 November, 1877, this parish was enlarged by gaining portions of three other Civil Parishes: Ashby Magna, Kimcote and Leire.
  • The citizens of this parish have decided to forgo a formal Parish Council and instead discuss governance issues in periodic Parish Meetings.

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • Bastardy cases would be heard in the Lutterworth petty session hearings every other Thursday.
  • In 1834, Mrs. Lucy GOODACRE left eight almshouses for the poor with an allowance of £4 per quarter for each inmate. By 1912, only five of the almshouses remained, three of the originals having been let out.
  • As a result of the 1834 Poor Law Amendment Act, this parish became part of the Lutterworth Poorlaw Union.


 Year Inhabitants
1801 135
1821 176
1841 179
1871 141
1881 148
1891 137
1901 111
1911 126
1921 130
1931 147
1951 135
1961 114
2001 211


  • There was an endowed school for boys and girls built here in 1832. This was later a Pulbic Elementary School.
  • The school closed in 1882 and was re-opened in 1895 to hold 45 children. Average attendance in 1912 was 13.