Hide

Aylestone

hide
Hide

"AYLESTONE, on the east side of the river Soar and Union Canal , 2 1/2 miles S. by W. of Leicester, is a pleasant village and township, containing 450 inhabitants, living in 95 houses, and 1,723A. 2R. 36P. of fertile land. Aylestone parish includes also Glen Parva and Lubbesthorpe, the latter of which is in Sparkenhoe Hundred, but the other in Guthlaxton Hundred; the whole of the parish is in Blaby Union and Leicester County Court District."
[WHITE's "History, Gazetteer and Directory of the Counties of Leicester and Rutland." 3rd Edition 1877]

Hide
topup

Cemeteries

Saffron Hill Cemetery, just south of the village, is under the administration of the Leicester City Council, and is a 20th century creation of 169 acres.  The chapel was built in late 1929 and the cemetery itself opened in 1931.

topup

Census

  • The parish was in the Wigston sub-district of the Blaby Registration District.
     
  • The 1851 Census for Leicestershire has been indexed by the Leicestershire & Rutland Family History Society. The whole index is available on microfiche. The society has also published it in print.
     
  • The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
     
Census
Year
Piece No.
1841 H.O. 107 / 600
1861 R.G. 9 / 2256 & 2258
1871 R.G. 10 / 3230
1891 R.G. 12 / 2496
topup

Church History

  • The Anglican parish church is dedicated to Saint Andrew.
     
  • The date of origin of the church is uncertain, but is probably 13th century.
     
  • The church is a Grade II structure with English Heritage.
     
  • The churchyard was consecrated around 1858, when the land was granted by the Duke of Rutland.
     
  • Tammy WINAND has a photograph of St. Andrew's Church on Geo-graph, taken in January, 2006.
     
  • Mat FASCIONE has a photograph of several Church windows on Geo-graph, taken in November, 2013.
     
  • There was a church (a Chapel of Ease) in Aylestone Park erected after 1881, but that was demolished in 1988.
     
topup

Church Records

  • The Anglican parish register dates from 1561.
     
  • The church is in the rural deanery of Guthlaxton (first portion).
     
  • The Society of Genealogists holds copies of marriage records from 1561 - 1837 which can be viewed at their library in London.
     
  • The Roman Catholic church of St Edward the Confessor opened on 3 May 1922.
     
  • Anthony PARKES has a photograph of the small Catholic Church of St. Edward on Geo-graph, taken in April, 2014.
     
  • The Baptists of Aylestone originally met, from 1855, in a cottage belonging to a Mr. and Mrs. CROSHER in The Hollow.
     
  • The Aylestone Baptist Chapel, was built in 1871.
     
topup

Civil Registration

  • Civil Registration began in July, 1837.
     
  • The parish was in the Wigston sub-district of the Blaby Registration District.
     
topup

Description & Travel

Aylestone is a suburb in the conurbation now known as Leicester city. It used to be a separate village and parish about 2 miles south of Leicester and 101 miles north of London. The parish covered 1,788 acres in 1881.

Aylestone Park is a hamlet that lies between Aylestone and the city of Leicester. If you are planning a visit:

  • By automobile, take the A426 motorway south-east out of Leicester or north out of Blaby.
     
You can see pictures of Aylestone which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

topup

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Aylestone has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

History

  • The village feast was held on the Sunday after St. Andrew's Day (30th November).
     
  • Mat FASCIONE has a photograph of the Black Horse Inn on Geo-graph, taken in February, 2017.
     
  • Mat FASCIONE also has a photograph of the Union Inn on Geo-graph, taken in January, 2008.
     
  • Mat FASCIONE also has a photograph of the Demolition of the Rutland Arms on Geo-graph, taken in May, 2011.
     
topup

Manors

  • Aylestone Hall is an ancient building, formerly the seat of the PEVERIL family, the VERNONs and the RUTLAND families.
     
  • The Hall was restored about 1850 and in 1881 was the residence of the Misses STONE.
     
  • Aylestone Hall was occupied by a ladies' boarding school in 1846.
     
  • The Hall is a Grade II building with English Heritage.
     
  • Mat FASCIONE has a photograph of the Aylestone Hall Gardens on Geo-graph, taken in February, 2017.
     
topup

Maps

  • See our Maps page for additional resources.
     

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK573008 (Lat/Lon: 52.601975, -1.155393), Aylestone which are provided by:

topup

Military History

At the southwest corner of St. Andrew's churchyard there is a small war memorial in the form of a Portland stone St. John's cross on a three-tiered base; Unveiled on 7 April 1920 by Capt. RICKETT.

In the churchyard, not far from the church tower, is a Limestone Memorial cross which was dedicated in April, 1921. The names are not recorded online as of 2017. The memorial commemorates 46 local men who died during the First World War and a further 32 who died during the Second World War.

Photographs can be found at the War Memorials Online website.

In the Baptist Church, on the opposite wall from the millennium window, stands a war memorial.

Aylestone Hall was requisitioned by the army during World War II.

topup

Military Records

The name listed on the small War Memorial in the churchyard is:

Name Rank Unit Died Other info.
Alfred BOTTRILL private 11 Btln., Essex Regt. 26 Sept. 1915 Age 22
topup

Names, Geographical

This place is listed in the 1086 Domesday Book as "Ailstone".

topup

Politics & Government

  • In 1881, this parish contained the three townships of Glen Parva, Aylestone and Lubbesthorpe
     
  • Most of the parish was in the ancient Guthlaxton Hundred in the southern division of the county. The township of Lubbesthorpe was in the Sparkenhoe Hundred.
     
  • In March, 1885, part of this parish was used to enlarge Glen Parva Civil Parish.
     
  • In March, 1885, another part of this parish was used to enlarge the newly-created Lubbesthorpe Civil Parish.
     
  • In March, 1892, a third part of this parish was used to enlarge Lubbesthorpe Civil Parish under the Leicester Extension Act of 1891.
     
  • In March, 1896, this parish was abolished and merged into Leicester Civil Parish.
     
  • Aylestone is now part of the Leicester Urban Area.
     
topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • Bastardy cases would be heard in the Leicester petty session hearings.
     
  • The Common Lands were enclosed here in 1766.
     
  • As a result of the 1834 Poor Law Amendment Act, this parish became part of the Blaby Poorlaw Union.
     
topup

Population

 Year Inhabitants
1801 649
1821 749
1841 757
1851 668
1871 450
1881 2,546
topup

Schools

  • The Public Elementary School (National School) was built in 1844.
     
  • The School was enlarged in 1881 to accommodate 170 boys, 170 girls and 300 infants.
     
  • The School was closed in 1891, when the schools in Aylestone were taken over by the Leicester School Board.
     
  • The Leicester Education Authority built two schools, at Knighton Fields Road West and Wigston Lane, before 1939.