Description in 1877:
"BARDON, formerly an extra-parochial liberty, is now a civil parish in Sparkenhoe Hundred, Ashby-de-la-Zouch Union, and County Court District, containing in 1871 a population of 59 persons, living in 12 houses, on 1710 acres of land. It occupies the crown and declivities of a bold eminence on the south side of Charnwood Fores, 9 miles N. W. by W. of Leicester, and 8 miles E.S.E. of Ashby-de-la-Zouch. It is bounded on the west by the Leicester and Burton Railway, on which it has a station, and is the property of William Perry Herrick, Esq., of Beaumanor Park who purchased it in 1864."
[White's "History, Gazetteer and Directory of the Counties of Leicester and Rutland." 3rd Edition 1877]



  • The parish was in the Whitwick sub-district of the Ashby de la Zouch Registration District.
  • The 1851 Census for Leicestershire has been indexed by the Leicestershire & Rutland Family History Society. The whole index is available on microfiche. The society has also published it in print.
  • The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
Piece No.
1841 H.O. 107 / 600
1861 R.G. 9 / 2273
1871 R.G. 10 / 3250
1891 R.G. 12 / 2512

Church History

  • The Anglican parish church is dedicated to Saint Peter.
  • The church was built in 1898-99.
  • The church was built of local granite.
  • The church seats 200.
  • The churchyard was consecrated in May, 1908.
  • Geoff PICK has a photograph of St. Peter's Church on Geo-graph, taken in May, 2003.
  • Mat FASCIONE also has a photograph of St. Peter's Church on Geo-graph, taken in September, 2013.

Church Records

  • Parish Register entries for Bardon appear to start in 1899.
  • A Congregational Chapel was founded here in 1662.

Civil Registration

  • Civil Registration began in July, 1837.
  • The parish was in the Whitwick sub-district of the Ashby de la Zouch Registration District.

Description & Travel

Bardon is village and parish about 118 miles north of London, 7 miles south-east of Ashby-de-la-Zouch and 10 miles north-west of Leicester. The parish covers about 1,350 acres.

If you are planning a visit:

  • Much of the parish is still farmland as this Mat FASCIONE photograph show us. This is Bardon Hill on Geo-graph, taken in October, 2010.
You can see pictures of Bardon which are provided by:




Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Bardon has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.



  • Quarrying was a major occupation of many locals. Brandon Hill granite was used in buildings and for road surfacing.


  • Bardon Hall was the residence of Breedon Newland EVERARD esq. in 1912.


  • See our Maps page for additional resources.

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK452127 (Lat/Lon: 52.710084, -1.332409), Bardon which are provided by:


Military History

  • Captain Walter S. CHAMBRE, Royal Navy retired, lived in this parish in 1912.

Military Records

There are two Commonwealth War Graves in the churchyard from World War I and one from World War II:

  1. J. H. SHAW, priv., 5th Btn. Leics Rgt., age 20, died 28 Apr. 1916. Son of Henry and Fanny Elizabeth SHAW, of Whitwick, LEI.
  2. George Thomas SALTTER, priv.,3rd Btn. Leics Rgt., age 24, died 2 July 1918. Son of Tom SLATTER, of Hugglescote, LEI.

Woarld War II:

  1. Roy Melbourne SAUNDERS, srgt., RAF Vol. Rsrv., age 21, died 21 Nov. 1943. Son of Joe and Effie SAUNDERS.

Politics & Government

  • Long an extra-parochial area, the area was formed as a Civil Parish in 1858.
  • The parish was in the ancient Sparkenhoe Hundred (or Wapentake).
  • The parish was enlarged in September, 1893, gaining part of Hugglescote and Donington parish.
  • The parish was reduced in April, 1935, giving up 6 acres to Markfield parish.
  • The Civil Parish was abolished in 1960.

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • After the Poor Law Amendment Act reforms of 1834, the parish became part of the Ashby de la Zouch Poorlaw Union.
  • Bastardy cases would be heard in the Ashby de la Zouch petty session hearings.


See "Politics" for an explanation of the large swings in population figures.

 Year Inhabitants
1871 59
1881 74
1891 69
1901 567
1911 554
1921 511
1931 463


  • A Public Elementary School was built here in 1895 to hold 190 children.