Barrow upon Soar
Description in 1877:
"Barrow-upon-Soar is a parish and large village, which gives its name to a Poor Law Union district, and a county court district. It has for ages been celebrated for its excellent limestone, and is pleasantly situated on the east side of the navigable River Soar, and on both side of the Midland Railway on which it has a station 2 miles N. of Mount Sorrel, 3 miles S.E. of Loughborough , and 9 miles N. of Leicester. Barrow township comprises about 2510 acres of land and had 1099 inhabitants in 1801, 1638 in 1831, 1800 in 1861, and 1973 in 1871, the increase of the last ten years being 'attributed to the opening of the limeworks.' It is in East Goscote Hundred, but its parish comprises also the townships of Mount Sorrel North-end, Quorndon, and Woodhouse, all of which are in West Goscote Hundred. The area of the whole parish is about 9160 acres, and it had 5857 inhabitants in 1871."
White's "History, Gazetteer and Directory of the Counties of Leicester and Rutland. 3rd Edition," 1877
The Quorn Village Museum has some interesting resources for family historians.
The Quorn Community Library in School Lane is a branch of the Leicester County Council Library System. It is open 5 days each week (verify by phone if you are visiting). Ask to see their postcard collection.
The Barrow upon Soar Community Library in North Street is a branch of the Leicester County Council Library System. It is open 4 days each week (verify by phone if you are visiting). The Library has dedicated Family History and Local History sections to assist your search.
- The Barrow Cemetery, set aside in 1893, covered only half an acre. It was under the control of the Parish Council.
- J. THOMAS has a photograph of the Cemetery Chapel on Geo-graph, taken in July, 2012.
- David HALLAM-JONES has a photograph of the Graveyard Entrance, Quorn United Church on Geo-graph taken in September, 2016.
- Alan MURRAY-RUST has a photograph of some Angel headstones, St Bartholomew's Churchyard, Quorn on Geo-graph taken in February, 2017.
- The parish was in the Barrow-upon-Soar sub-district of the Barrow-upon-Soar Registration District.
- The 1851 Census for Leicestershire has been indexed by the Leicestershire & Rutland Family History Society. The whole index is available on microfiche. The society has also published it in print and Volume 13 covers the Barrow on Soar Sub-District.
- The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
Piece No. 1861 R.G. 9 / 2279 & 2280 1871 R.G. 10 / 3261 1891 R.G. 12 / 2519
- The Anglican parish church is dedicated to The Holy Trinity.
- The church chancel was pulled down and entirely rebuilt in 1862.
- The church was completely restored in 1870.
- The church seats 500.
- Tim HEATON provides a photograph of the Church of the Holy Trinity on Geo-graph taken in February, 2008.
- Eirian EVANS also has a photograph of the Holy Trinity Church on Geo-graph taken in September, 2006.
- Alan MURRAY-RUST has a photograph of the Church of St Bartholomew, Quorn on Geo-graph taken in February, 2017.
- The Anglican parish register dates from 1563.
- The church was in the rural deanery of East Akeley.
- The Barrow Family History Group tell us: "We have nearly completed the transcription of Holy Trinity Parish church registers of Baptisms, Burials and Marriages, into a series of microsoft Excell fully searchable files. We are also carrying out a similar exercise with the St Mary's Parish Church registers for Walton on the Wolds, i.e a neighboring village. We have used the original church registers for this project. The village cemetery registers have also been transcribed." For details contact Vincent Thompson, email <VinandVal[at]aol[dot]com> . They provide a search service now, and intend to publish the information on CD for sale via the Parish church web site and via the Leicestershire and Rutland Family History Society.
- The Society of Genealogists holds copies of records of marriages from 1563 - 1837, baptisms from 1689 - 1966 and burials from 1689 - 1812 which can be studied at their library in London.
- The Catholic Church had a chapel built here in 1839 and dedicated it to Saint Alban.
- The General Baptists had a chapel built here in 1822 that could seat 300. That building was replaced in 1875.
- Tim HEATON provides a photograph of the chapel on Geo-graph taken in 2008.
- Alan MURRAY-RUST has a photograph of the Baptist Church on Beveridge Street on Geo-graph taken in February, 2017.
- The Wesleyan Methodists and the Primitive Methodists all had chapels here by 1849.
- Civil Registration began in July, 1837.
- The Registrar's Office in Barrow-upon-Soar closed in 1945. Certificates of birth, death and marriage can now be obtained from the Superintendent Registrar at Leicestershire Central.
Alan MURRAY-RUST has a photograph of the Round House (the former village Lock-up), on Geograph, taken in February, 2017.
Alan MURRAY-RUST also has a photograph of the Quorn village stocks on Geograph, taken in February, 2017.
And behind the stocks is the old Quorn Lock-up. Alan MURRAY-RUST has a photograph of the old lock-up, Quorn, on Geograph, taken in February, 2017.
Barrow on Soar is a village and a parish which lie about 113 miles north of London, 3 miles east of Loughborough and 19 miles north of Leicester. Quorndon township lies to the west and Sileby parish lies to the southeast. The parish covers just under 2,500 acres.
Quorn (the preferred rendering is Quorndon) is across the river from Barrow on Soar to the west and was, for centuries, a chapelry and township in this parish.
The village lies just east of the A6. The River Soar passes along the southwest edge of the village, If you are planning a visit:
- By automobile, take the A46 north out of Leicester toward Loughborough. At Quorndon turn right (east) into Barrow on Soar.
- There is train service to Barrow upon Soar, but the schedule is unreported.
- Alan MURRAY-RUST has a photograph of the Village Sign on Geo-graph, taken in February, 2017.
- Mat FASCIONE has a photograph of a different Village Sign on Geo-graph, taken in September, 2007.
- Alan MURRAY-RUST has a photograph of the Quorn Village Hall on Geograph, taken in February, 2017. The Hall opened in 1889.
"Barrow-on-Soar, par. and township with ry. sta., N. Leicestershire, 3 miles SE. of Loughborough -- par., 9160 ac. (area of par. includes Mount Sorrell Southend, which is in another parish), pop. 6400; township, 2510 ac., pop. 2024; P.O.; has mfrs. of lace and hosiery. Bishop Beveridge (1638-1708), Oriental scholar and author, was a native."
[John Bartholomew's "Gazetteer of the British Isles," 1887]
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Barrow upon Soar to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Barrow upon Soar has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- The parish was known for the fine limestone quarried here.
- Shoes and boots were another commodity found in Barrow.
- In 1851 the fossil of a large Plesiosaur was unearthed here. It was nicknamed the "Barrow Kipper". The remains are on display at the Leicester Museum.
- Nigel THOMPSON has a photograph of the 1st Railway station site on Geo-graph, taken in September, 2012.
- Betty LONGBOTTOM has a photograph of the Apple Tree on Stoop Lane, Quorn on Geo-graph, taken in May, 2012.
- The Manor here was known as "Barwe" to the Saxons and it belonged to Hugh Lupus.
- Christine MATTHEWS has a photograph of the Entrance to Quorn House on Geo-graph, taken in May, 2013.
- See our Maps page for additional resources.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK576176 (Lat/Lon: 52.752953, -1.148032), Barrow upon Soar which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Betty LONGBOTTOM has a photograph of the Quorn Medical Centre off Station Road on Geo-graph, taken in May, 2012.
I have no record on this building, but patient records were NOT required to be archived. Their may be financial records and photograph in the Archives.
- The Farnham estate off of Wood Lane was converted to military use during World War II. Near the end of the was it became a Prisoner of War camp for German and Italian prisoners of war.
- Alan MURRAY-RUST has a photograph of the War Memorial on Geo-graph, taken in February, 2017.
- You can visit the Barrow on Soar War Memorial website.
- There are 14 Commonwealth War Grave in Barrow-upon-Soar Cemetery.
- There is a War Memorial outside the White Horse Inn in Quorndon. It was erected in 1921.
- Alan MURRAY-RUST has a photograph of the War memorial and The White Horse, Quorn on Geo-graph, taken in February, 2017.
- Alan MURRAY-RUST has a photograph of the Quorndon War Memorial on Geo-graph, taken in February, 2017.
- Betty LONGBOTTOM has a photograph of the Quorn War Memorial in Leicester Road on Geo-graph, taken in May, 2012.
- There is a War Memorial in the North Aisle or Quorndon's St. Bartholomew Church. It was erected in 1919 and added to in 1945.
- There is a Stained Glass Windowr Memorial in Quorndon's St. Bartholomew Church. It was dedicated shortly after World War I by the MOORE family.
- David HALLAM-JONES has a photograph of The War Memorial Gardens, Quorn on Geo-graph taken in September, 2016.
The Commonwealth War Graves are for (data from the CWGC site):
|Henry BURT||gunner||Royal Garrison Artillery, 17th Durham F. C.||19 Jan. 1919||Age 25, son of Mrs. Ann Olive|
|Jabez CLARKE||driver||Royal Army Service Corps||20 Feb. 1944||Age 31, husband of Phyllis G. CLARKE|
|Arthur Lawrence DARBY||private||Pioneer Corps||13 July 1946||Age 32, husband of Lois Henrietta DARBY|
|Frederick HASELDINE||Lieutenant||West Riding Regt.||2 Dec. 1914||Age 23|
|Charles Thomas HILL||lance corporal||2/5th Btln., Leics Regt.||21 Jan. 1921||son of Fanny HILL and the late Joseph HILL|
|Alfred. ILIFFE||private||Sherwood Foresters||21 June 1918||Age 20, son of William and Elizabeth ILIFFE|
|Donald Lindsey LAMB||sergeant pilot||RAF Volun. Resv.||30 Aug. 1945||Age 20, son of Francis E. B. and Alma Beatrice LAMB|
|Thomas LEWIN||private||1st. Garrison Btln., Leics. Regt.||26 Nov. 1916||No family data reported|
|William George MARLOW||regimental quartermaster sergeant||12th Btln., Leics. Regt.||27 May 1916||Age 46, husband of Maud Rosamond MARLOW|
|Alfred MUSSON||able seaman||Royal Navy, HMS Chrysanthemum||22 Dec. 1941||son of Herbert and Ruth MUSSON|
|Howard Lawton NEAL||guardsman||Grenadier Guards||20 Mar. 1945||Age 18, son of Philip Harold and Mary Ann NEAL|
|Harold SHELTON||corporal||10th Btln., Leics. Regt.||30 Nov. 1918||Age 20, son of John and Elizabeth SHELTON|
|Leonard SPENCER||sergeant||Corps of Military Police||9 June 1941||Age 38, husband of Norah SPENCER|
|Harry WARBOYS||gunner||173 Field Regt., Royal Artillery||7 Nov. 1942||Age 22, son of Mr. and Mrs. H. WARBOYS|
Christine MATTHEWS has a photograph of the grave of Charley OTTEY who died of wounds taken in May, 2013.
In 1889, the citizens of Quorndon petitioned the Postmaster General to change the name to "Quorn" - primarily to differentiate the town from Quarndon in Derbyshire. But both versions of the name are still in use.
- This place was an ancient parish in county Leicester and became a Civil Parish when those were established.
- The parish is in the ancient East Goscote Hundred in the northern (or Mid) division of the county.
- The parish became part of the Mountsorrel Borough in the 1800s.
- Quorndon became a separate Civil Parish in December, 1866.
- Mountsorrel became a separate Civil Parish in December, 1884.
- In October, 1896, the parish reduced in size to enlarge Mountsorrel Civil Parish.
- You may contact the local Parish Council regarding civic or political issues, but they CANNOT do family history searches for you.
- District governance is provided by the Charnwood Borough Council.
- As a result of the 1834 Poor Law Amendment Act, this parish became the centre of the Barrow-upon-Soar Poorlaw Union.
- In the 1840s, the parish had hospitals or almshouses for 11 aged men and 7 aged women.
- Alan MURRAY-RUST has a photograph of the Cave almshouses on Geo-graph, taken in February, 2017.
- A photograph of the almshouses in Barrow is at the Images of England website.
Year Inhabitants 1841 1,840 1861 1,800 1871 1,963 1881 2,024 1891 2,245 1901 2,409 1911 2,481 1921 2,575
- The Grammar School, was a secondary school by 1911. It was founded in 1717.
- There was a Free School here in 1849.
- A Public Elementary School was built here in 1858 and enlarged in 1897 to hold 300 children.
- A School Board was formed here in 1875.
- A second Public Elementary School was built here in 1880 for 167 children.
- Betty LONGBOTTOM has a photograph of the Old Methodist School - High Street, Quorn on Geo-graph, taken in May, 2012.
- Betty LONGBOTTOM has a photograph of the Rawlins School - Church Lane, Quorn on Geo-graph, taken in May, 2012.