Hide

Quorndon

hide
Hide
Description in 1871:
"QUORNDON, a village, a township-chapelry, and a sub-district, in Barrow-upon-Soar district, Leicester. The village stands on the river Soar, 1 mile W S W of Barrow r. station, and 2½ S E of Loughborough; is commonly called Quorn; and has a post-office under Loughborough. The chapelry is in Barrow-upon-Soar parish, and comprises 1, 990 acres. Real property, £6, 591. Pop. in 1851, 1,876; in 1861, 1, 622. Houses, 378. Q. House is the seat of E. B. Farnham, Esq.; Q. Hall, of E. Warner, Esq.; and Q. Lodge, of R. Hole, Esq. There are gas-works for Quorndon, Mountsorrel, and Barrow-upon-Soar. There are also the kennels and stables of the Quorn hunt; and framework-knitting and lace-glove-making are carried on. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £122. Patron, the Vicar of Barrow. The church is old, was restored in 1866, and has a tower. There are chapels for Baptists, Wesleyans, and Primitive Methodists, a national school, and charities £60.
The sub-district contains also three other sections of Barrow parish, a township of Rothley parish, two other parishes, and an extra-parochial tract. Pop., 5,089. Houses, 1, 152.."
[John Marius WILSON's "Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales," 1870-72]

Census

  • Quorndon was in the Quorndon sub-district of the Barrow-on-Soar Registration District.
     
  • The 1851 census for Leicestershire has been indexed by the Leicestershire & Rutland Family History Society. The whole index is available on microfiche. The society has also published it in print and Volume 23 covers the Syston subdistrict of which Quorndon is a part.
     
  • The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
     
Census
Year
Piece No.
1861 R.G. 9 / 2280
1871 R.G. 10 / 3264
1891 R.G. 12 / 2520

 

Church History

  • The Anglican parish church is dedicated to Saint Bartholomew.
     
  • The date of the original structure is the 13th century, but it took two centuries to complete. The style is called Early English.
     
  • Farnham Chapel in the church was founded by John Farnham in 1392,.is in the south aisle.
     
  • The church was sited on the highest point of land so it could dominate the countryside.
     
  • The church was restored in 1864-66.
     
  • The church seats 450.
     
  • Betty LONGBOTTOM has a photograph of St Bartholmew's Church on Geo-graph, taken in May, 2012.
     
  • David HALLAM-JONES also has a photograph of The United Church on Geo-graph, taken in September, 2016.
     
  • In the churchyard is a stone monument to Cleare Sacheverelle, former rector of th parish, who died in 1660. He is noted for his persecution of the clergy in the 15th century.
     

 

Church Records

  • The Anglican parish register dates from 1576.
     
  • The church was in the rural deanery of Goscote (second portion). By 1925, this became the East Akeley deanery.
     
  • The Baptist chapel was founded in 1770.
     
  • The Wesleyan Methodists had a chapel here by 1849, but no regular minister.
     
  • The Congregationalists had a chapel here in 1881.
     

 

Civil Registration

  • Civil Registration started in July, 1837.
     
  • Quorndon was in the Quorndon sub-district of the Barrow-on-Soar Registration District.
     

 

Correctional Institutions

  • David HALLAM-JONES has a photograph of the local Lock-up on Geo-graph, taken in September, 2016. It is unknown if any records survive for this institution.
     
  • Alan MURRAY-RUST also has a photograph of the local Lock-up on Geo-graph, taken inFebruary, 2017.
     

 

Description and Travel.

Quorndon (now called Quorn) is a village and a parish in northern Leicestershire just south-east of Ludborough, on the west side of the River Soar. The parish is 8.5 miles north of Leicester city and 111 miles north of London. The parish covers 1,720 acres.

 

The village stands just south of the River Wreake. If you are planning a visit:

 

  • By automobile, the village is on the A607 midway between Leicester city and Melton Mowbray.
     
  • In 2000, the villagers got approval for a bypass for Quorndon. The bypass was opened in 2004 and allowed traffic to flow around the village rather than right through it.
     
  • There is rail passenger service to Quorndon.
     
  • David HALLAM-JONES also has a photograph of the Village Hall on Geo-graph, taken in September, 2016. You may wish to stop in and ask for a schedule of forth-coming events, or to arrange your family reunion.
     
  • Alan MURRAY-RUST also has a photograph of the Village Hall in Leicester Road on Geo-graph, taken in February, 2017.
     
  • Mat FASCIONE has a photograph of the Village Sign in Loughborough Road on Geo-graph, taken in April, 2015.
     

 

History

  • There is evidence that the Romans used stone from this parish for buildings.
     
  • The earliest reference to the village is in the Lincoln Episcopal Registers for 1208 thru 1235.
     
  • David HALLAM-JONES has a photograph of The White Horse public house on Geo-graph, taken in September, 2016. The pub dates back to 1787.
     
  • These are the names associated with the White Horse Hotel in various directories:
     
Year  Person
1849 Thomas HUBBARD
1855 Thomas HUBBARD
1861 Thomas HUBBARD
1881 Oliver Stanley BROWN
1912 Joseph Cooper NEEDHAM
1925 Joseph STORER

 

Manors

  • Quorndon Hall situated on the bank of the river Soar, was erected by Capt. Henry FARNHAM in 1680.
     
  • Quorndon House was the residence of Philip ELLIS in 1925.
     
  • There is mention of an Old Hall in the Directories, but no descriptions. In 1925 it appears to be a farm residence.
     

 

Maps

  • The national grid reference is SK 5616.
     
  • See our Maps page for additional resources.
     

 

Military History

  • There is a memorial window in the north-east part of the church, presented by Mr. and Mrs. G. WHITE and Mr. and Mrs. W. MOORE, to Charles KIRBELL, Frank Cuthbert WHITE, Daniel William and Hubert Mason MOORE and others of this parish who fell in the Great War, 1914-18.
     
  • In the village is a stone cenotaph, erected in 1921 to the men from this parish who gave their lives in the Great War, 1914-18 ; their names are inscribed on panels of Swithland slate.
     
  • David HALLAM-JONES has a photograph of the War Memorial Gardens on Geo-graph, taken in September, 2016.
     
  • Mat FASCIONE has a photograph of the War Memorial on Geo-graph, taken in April, 2015.
     
  • Christine MATTHEWS also has a photograph of the War Memorial on Geo-graph, taken in May, 2013.
     
  • And Alan MURRAY-RUST also has a photograph of the War Memorial on Geo-graph, taken in February, 2017.
     

 

Names, Geographical

  • The name Quorndon is from the Old English cwerdun, or "Hill where millstones are quarried".
     
  • The name was shortened to Quorn from Quorndon in 1889, to avoid confusion with the name of another village, Quarndon, a few miles away in Derbyshire.
     

 

Politics and Governance

  • This place was an ancient Chapelry in Leicester county and became a modern Civil Parish in December, 1866.
     
  • The parish was in the ancient West Goscote Hundred in the eastern division of the county.
     
  • An Urban District Council was established in 1894.
     
  • In April, 1935, the parish gave a 7 acre parcel to Loughborough Civil Parish and 216 acres to Montsorrel Civil Parish.
     
  • On that same date, the parish gained a 112 acres from Woodthorpe Civil Parish.
     

 

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

  • As a result of the 1834 Poor Law Amendment Act, this parish became part of the Barrow-upon-Soar Poor Law Union.
     
  • Bastardy cases were heard in the Leicester petty session hearings.
     
  • There were several charities operating in the parish which provided groceries to the poor.
     

 

Population

 Year Inhabitants
1841 471
1861 468
1871 458
1881 477
1891 400
1901 427
1911 409
1921 424
1931 538
1951 692
1961 677

 

Schools

  • The Rawlins Endowed School (mixed), founded at Woodhouse by Thomas RAWLINS in 1691, was reconstructed in Quorn in 1892. In 1924 it had about 150 students.
     
  • A Public Elementary School for boys, girls and infants was built here in 1872.