Hide

Bittesby

hide
Hide

Description in 1871:
"BITTESBY, a liberty in Claybrooke parish, Leicester; on the Midland railway, 3 miles WNW of Lutterworth. Real property, £1,226. Pop., 12. House, 1."
John Marius WILSON's "Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales," 1870-72

Hide
topup

Census

  • The parish was in the Lutterworth sub-district of the Lutterworth Registration District.
     
  • The 1851 Census for Leicestershire has been indexed by the Leicestershire & Rutland Family History Society. The whole index is available on microfiche. The society has also published it in print.
     
  • The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
     
Census
Year
Piece No.
1841 H.O. 107 / 597
1861 R.G. 9 / 2244
1871 R.G. 10 / 3223
1891 R.G. 12 / 2490
topup

Church History

  • The remains of an ancient chapel can be found to the north of the village.
     
topup

Church Records

  • The chapel was in the rural deanery of Guthlaxton (second portion).
     
topup

Civil Registration

  • The parish was in the Lutterworth sub-district of the Lutterworth Registration District.
     
  • Civil Registration began in July, 1837 (although the parish wasn't formed until 1866).
     
topup

Description & Travel

Bittesby is considered a "deserted" village in south-east Leicestershire. It is on the A6 trunk road, about 3 miles from Lutterworth. The parish covers 808 acres.

You can see pictures of Bittesby which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

topup

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Bittesby has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

History

  • The village was depopulated in 1494.
     
topup

Maps

  • See our Maps page for additional resources.
     

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SP500858 (Lat/Lon: 52.467857, -1.265421), Bittesby which are provided by:

topup

Politics & Government

  • This place was an ancient Chapelry and Liberty of Claybrook parish in Leicester county.
     
  • This place became a modern Civil Parish in December, 1866.
     
  • The parish lies in the Guthlaxton Hundred in the southern division of the county.
     
  • In April, 1935, this Civil Parish gained 14 acres granted to it from Wibtoft Civil Parish when the boundary with Warwickshire along the Watling Street was adjusted.
     
  • On that same date, this Civil Parish gained 44 acres granted to it from Willey Civil Parish when the boundary with Warwickshire was adjusted.
     
  • The citizens of the parish have elected to have periodic Parish Meetings rather than have a formal Parish Council.
     
  • District governance is provided by the District of Harborough Council.
     
topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • Bastardy cases would be heard in the Lutterworth petty session hearings every other Thursday.
     
  • As a result of the 1834 Poor Law Amendment Act, this parish became part of the Lutterworth Poorlaw Union.
     
topup

Population

 Year Inhabitants
1871 18
1881 37
1891 44
1901 35
1911 38
1921 48