Description in 1871:
"BRINGHURST, a township and a parish in the district of Uppingham and county of Leicester. The township lies on the river Welland, ¾ of a mile SW of Great Easton, and 2 W of Rockingham r. station. Pop., 109. Houses, 25. The parish contains also the townships of Drayton and Great Easton; the latter of which has a post office under Uppingham. Acres, 3,650. Real property, £7,504. Pop., 825. Houses, 180. The living is a vicarage, united with the p. curacy of Great Easton, in the diocese of Peterborough Value, £241. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of P. Both B. church and G. E. church are good; and there are three dissenting chapels."
John Marius WILSON's "Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales", 1870-72



  • The parish was in the Great Easton subdistrict of the Uppingham Registration District.
  • The 1851 Census for Leicestershire has been indexed by the Leicestershire & Rutland Family History Society. The whole index is available on microfiche. The society has also published it in print.
  • The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
Piece No.
1841 H.O. 107 / 589
1861 R.G. 9 / 2309
1891 R.G. 12 / 2550

Church History

  • The Anglican parish church is dedicated to Saint Nicholas.
  • The 1849 Post Office Directory of Leicestershire tells us, perhaps erroneously, that the church is dedicated to Saint Thomas.
  • The church building dates back to the 12th century.
  • The church was thoroughly restored in 1863.
  • This church is considered the "mother" church of Drayton and Great Easton.
  • Tim HEATON has a photograph of the Church of St. Nicholas on Geo-graph, taken in December, 2006.
  • Mat FASCIONE also has a photograph of St. Nicholas Church on Geo-graph, taken in September, 2007.

Church Records

  • The Anglican parish register dates from 1640 for baptisms and marriages, and from 1672 for burials.
  • The church was in the rural deanery of Gartree (third portion).

Civil Registration

  • Civil Registration began in July, 1837.
  • The parish was in the Great Easton subdistrict of the Uppingham Registration District.

Description & Travel

Bringhurst is a parish, a township and a small village about 97 miles north of London, 5.5 miles southwest of Uppingham (in Rutland county) and 3 miles northeast of Market Harborough. The parish is bounded on the south by the River Welland which is flowing east to The Wash and bordered on the northeast by the River Eye. The parish covers 519 acres and includes the townships of Great Easton and Drayton.

If you are planning a visit:

  • By automobile, take the A427 trunk road west out of Corby or east out of Market Harborough. Turn north at Cottingham and cross the Welland River to reach Bringhust.
  • Mat FASCIONE has a photograph of the Village Sign on Geo-graph, taken in September, 2007. Bring your pruning shears so that all may see the sign!
You can see pictures of Bringhurst which are provided by:




Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Bringhurst has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.



  • Most of the land in the parish was used for pasture.


  • See our Maps page for additional resources.

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SP841922 (Lat/Lon: 52.521199, -0.761951), Bringhurst which are provided by:


Military History

Inside St. Nicholas Church there is a wooden plaque on the wall with a painted inscription honoring the men of Bringhurst and Drayton who fell in the Great War.


Military Records

The names listed on the War Memorial for World War I are:

Name Rank Unit Died Other info.
Basil Lindsay HIND       Not found in CWGC database
Ernest STOKES       Not found in CWGC database
Hubert Prest STOKES rifleman 16th Btln., King's Royal Rifle Corps 23 Apr. 1917 Age 37. Not found in CWGC database
Arthur Edward STOKES able seaman Royal Navy, HMS Good Hope (lost at Coronel) 1 Nov. 1914 Age 25, son of George Thomas and Elizabeth STOKES of Oakham
Edgar STOKES private 1st Batn., Northamptonshire Regt. 11 Oct. 1914 Age 27, son of George Thomas STOKES of Oakham. Not found in CWGC database.
Alfred TIMSON       Not found in CWGC database

Note: The George Thomas STOKES mentioned above, married to Elizabeth can be found in the 1901 census of Drayton, Leics.  Edgar is age 13 and "Art Ed." is 12.  "Hubert" is a grandson, age 4, but his age doesn't match the War Memorial entry.


Politics & Government

  • The parish was in the southern division of the county in the ancient Gartree Hundred (or Wapentake).
  • Drayton township was separated from the parish and created as a separate Civil Parish after 1866.
  • Great easton village and township was separated from the parish and created as a separate Civil Parish after 1866.
  • The parish covered 3,650 acres in 1881, but was reduced to 519 acres by 1891.

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • The Common Land was enclosed here in 1804.
  • After the Poor Law Amendment Act reforms of 1834, the parish became part of the Uppingham Poorlaw Union.
  • Bastardy cases would be heard in the East Norton petty session hearings.


These population figures appear to be for the township of Bringhurst only, not the entire parish.

 Year Inhabitants
1801 777
1811 737
1841 840
1871 109
1881 73
1891 33
1901 49
1911 45
1921 40
1931 42
1951 55
1961 45


  • The children of this parish attended school in Great Easton township.