Description in 1887:
"Brooksby, par. and ry. sta., N. Leicestershire, on river Wreak, 9 miles NE. of Leicester, 861 ac., pop. 67. Near the sta. is Brooksby Hall, birth place of the Duke of Buckingham (1592-1628), favourite of James I."
[John BARTHOLOMEW's "Gazetteer of the British Isles," 1887]
- The parish was in the Somerby sub-district of the Melton Mowbray Registration District until 1935.
- In 1935, the parish was transfered to the Melton and Belvoir Registration District.
- The 1851 Census for Leicestershire has been indexed by the Leicestershire & Rutland Family History Society. The whole index is available on microfiche. The society has also published it in print.
- The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
|1861||R.G. 9 / 2299|
|1871||R.G. 10 / 3293|
|1891||R.G. 12 / 2543|
- The Anglican parish church is dedicated to Saint Michael (or St. Michael and All Angels).
- The date of construction is unreported.
- The church was restored in 1620.
- The church was restored again in 1879.
- The church seats 100.
- Mat FASCIONE has a photograph of St. Michael and All Angels on Geo-graph, taken in March, 2009.
- The Anglican parish register dates from 1620.
- The church is in the rural deanery of Goscote (second portion).
- Civil Registration began in July, 1837.
- The parish was in the Somerby sub-district of the Melton Mowbray Registration District until 1934.
- In 1934, the parish was transferred to the Melton and Belvoir Registration District.
Brooksby is a village and was a parish, 6 miles south-west of Melton Mowbray, 9 miles north-east of Leicester city and 112 miles north of London. The parish covered 867 acres on the south bank of the River Wreake and included the hamlet of Hoby Newfields.
The village is too small to show on my small scale (large area) map. If you are planning a visit:
- By automobile, take the A607 arterial road west out of Melton Mobray. Turn left at Rotherby and pass through that village. The fields to the right are Brooksby.
- Rail passenger service here ceased in 1961.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Brooksby to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Brooksby has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Much of the parish land was used for grazing.
- Alan MURRAY-RUST has a photograph of the Brooksby medieval village area on Geo-graph, taken in April, 2015.
- Ben BROOKSBANK has a photograph of Brooksby Station on Geo-graph, taken in June 1962.
- The train station closed years ago. Glen MANSFIELD has a photograph of closed Brooksby Station on Geo-graph, taken in November, 2008.
- Brooksby Hall, near the church, was considerably enlarged in 1891.
- Brooksby Hall was the residence of Rear-Admiral David BEATTY in 1912.
- Tim HEATON has a photograph of Brooksby Hall on Geo-graph, taken in October, 2007.
- Alan MURRAY-RUST has a photograph of Brooksby Hall on Geo-graph, taken in April, 2015, along with some history.
- See our Maps page for additional resources.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK675165 (Lat/Lon: 52.741922, -1.001601), Brooksby which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- From 1911 through 1925, Brooksby Hall was the residence of Admiral of the Fleet David BEATTY.
- Inside St. Michael and All Angels church there is a plaque honoring all the senior officers who fought at the Battle of Jutland in May, 1916.
The senior officers listed on the Jutland Plaque are:
|Robert Keith ARBUTHNOT||Rear Admiral||Royal Navy, HMS Defiance||31 May 1916|
|Thomas Parry BONHAM||Captain||Royal Navy, HMS Black Prince||31 May 1916|
|Arthur Lindesay CAY||Captain||Royal Navy, HMS Invincible||31 May 1916|
|Stanley Venn ELLIS||Captain||Royal Navy, HMS Defiance||31 May 1916|
|Horace Lanham Alexander HOOD||Rear Admiral||Royal Navy, HMS Invincible||31 May 1916|
|Cecil Irby PROWSE||Captain||Royal Navy, HMS Queen Mary||31 May 1916|
|Charles Fitzgerald SOWERBY||Captain||Royal Navy, HMS Indefatigable||31 May 1916|
|Charles John WINTOUR||Captain||Royal Navy, HMS Tipperary||31 May 1916|
- This place was an ancient parish of the county and it became a modern Civil Parish when those were established.
- The parish was in the ancient East Goscote Hundred in the northern (or eastern) division of the county.
- In 1881, the parish covered 861 acres. This was enlarged by 1891 to 867 acres.
- In April, 1936, this parish was abolished and the 867 acres amalgamated with Rotherby to create the new Hoby with Rotherby Civil Parish.
- Bastardy cases would be heard in the Melton Mowbray petty session hearings.
- As a result of the 1834 Poor Law Amendment Act, this parish became part of the Melton Mowbray Poorlaw Union.
- The children of this parish attended school in Rotherby.
- Brooksby is also home to the modern Brooksby Melton College of land-based education and vocational training.