Hide

Burbage

hide
Hide

Description in 1849:
"BURBAGE is a pleasant village, township and chapelry, 1 and 1/4 miles from Hinckley, 6 east-north-east from Nuneaton station, 100 from London, and 9 and 1/2 north-west from Latterworth, in Aston Flamville parish, Sparkenhoe Hundred, Hinckley Union, and Peterborough bishoprick. The living is a perpetual curacy, value £878, in the gift of Earl de Grey, lord of the manor. The Rev. Willoughby Townley Balfour, A.B., is the present incumbent: the Rev. William Wilkinson, A.B., and the Rev. Adolphus Frederick Carey, A.B., curates. The church, dedicated to St. Catherine, is an old Gothic building, with a square tower, spire, and 5 bells, and was repaired in 1813 at a cost of upwards of £2,000. Here is a Free school for boys and girls, also chapels for Independents, Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists. In 1841 the population was 1,780, and there are 3,200 acres of land. There are likewise 47 people in Sketchley hamlet, which is to the south on Watling street, and formerly had a chapel. Many of the people of Burbage are frame-work knitters."
["Post Office Directory Leicestershire & Rutlandshire," 1849]

Hide
topup

Archives & Libraries

The Burbage, Library on Church Street is a branch of the Leicester County Council Library System. It is open 4 days each week (verify by phone if you are visiting).

J. THOMAS has a photograph of the Burbage Community Library on the corner of Lychgate Lane, taken in February, 2017.

topup

Cemeteries

topup

Census

  • The parish was in the Burbage sub-district of the Hinckley registration district.
     
  • The 1851 census for Leicestershire has been indexed by the Leicestershire & Rutland Family History Society. The whole index is available on microfiche. The society has also published it in print and Volume 6 covers the Burbage and Earl Shilton sub-district which includes Burbage.
     
  • The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
     
Census
Year
Piece No.
1841 H.O. 107 / 600
1861 R.G. 9 / 2259
1871 R.G. 10 / 3235
1891 R.G. 12 / 2502
topup

Church History

  • The Anglican parish church in Burbage is dedicated to Saint Catherine.
     
  • The church was built in the 14th century from stone, but little of the original structure remains except the tower.
     
  • The church has a square tower and 5 bells.
     
  • The church was partly rebuilt in 1842 and repaired in 1843.
     
  • The entire church was restored in 1882.
     
  • The tower and spire were restored in 1913.
     
  • The church was renovated in 1922.
     
  • The church seats 600.
     
  • There is a photograph of the church in the distance at the Parish Council website. See "Politics," below.
     
topup

Church Records

  • The Anglican parish register dates from 1562 and is in good condition.
     
  • The church was in the rural deanery of Sparkenhoe (second portion).
     
  • The Congregational chapel was built in 1895.
     
  • Ian ROB has a photograph of The Congregational chapel on Geo-graph, taken in March, 2011.
     
  • The Wesleyan Methodist Chapel was built in 1866.
     
  • There used to be an Anglican Chapel in Sketchley hamlet, but that closed prior to 1881.
     
topup

Civil Registration

  • The parish was in the Burbage sub-district of the Hinckley registration district.
     
  • Civil Registration began in July, 1837.
     
topup

Description & Travel

Burbage is now a suburb of Hinckley, on the eastern edge of that town. It was long a large village, a township, a chapelry and a parish. The parish borders Warwick to the south-west, across Watling Street, with Hinckley parish to the west, and Barwell parish to the north. It is 100 miles north of London and 9.5 miles north-west of Lutterworth. The parish includes the hamlet of Sketchley.

The village sits in south-west Leicestershire about 1.5 miles east of the centre of Hinckley. If you are planning a visit:

  • By automobile, the parish lies just north of the intersection between the A5 (Watling Street) and the M69.
     
  • The village is served by Arriva bus service from Hinckley.
     
  • There is rail service between Leicester and Nuneaton (and onward to Coventry with a change of trains).
     
You can see pictures of Burbage which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

topup

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Burbage has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

History

  • J. HIGGINS has a photograph of an Old Milestone at the north end of the village on Geo-graph, taken in November, 2004.
     
  • Most of the male residents of the parish were either Framework Knitters, farmers or shoe makers.
     
  • There are some old photographs of Burbage, but no text "content" at Burbage.org.
     
  • The "Bitterman" has a photograph of The Hastings Pub. on Geo-graph, taken in August, 2010.
     
topup

Manors

  • There is mention of a Burbage House in old directories, but it appears this was NOT the Manor House.
     
topup

Maps

  • See our Maps page for additional resources.
     

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SP442926 (Lat/Lon: 52.529484, -1.349891), Burbage which are provided by:

topup

Military History

  • Mat FASCIONE has a photograph of the War Memorial in Church Street on Geo-graph, taken in January, 2008.
     
topup

Military Records

For another photograph of the Burbage War Memorial and the list of names on it, see the Roll of Honour site.

topup

Names, Geographical

  • Although Burbage is the preferred name for the parish, it is also known as Burbage and Sketchley.
     
topup

Politics & Government

  • This place was an ancient Chapelry of Aston Flamville parish, Leicestershire, and became a modern Civil Parish in December, 1866.
     
  • The parish was in the ancient Sparkenhoe Hundred (Wapentake) in the southern division of the county.
     
  • Today's Parish Council can be checked out, but they do NOT answer family history questions.
     
  • On 1 April, 1928, this parish gave up 5 acres to Hinckley Civil Parish, but gained a different 3 acre parcel from the same parish.
     
  • On 1 April, 1935, this parish was abolished and all 3,103 acres were joined to Hinckley Civil Parish.
     
  • The Hinckley and Bosworth Borough Council provides district governance.
     
topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • As a result of the 1834 Poor Law Amendment Act, this parish became part of the Hinckley Poorlaw Union.
     
  • Bastardy cases would be heard in the Market Bosworth petty sessional hearings.
     
topup

Population

 Year Inhabitants
1841 1,780
1871 1,725
1881 1,691
1891 1,876
1901 2,196
1911 2,412
1921 2,589
1931 3,570
topup

Schools

  • A Public Elementary School was built here on WIndsor Street in 1849 and later enlarged to hold 255 children.
     
  • A second Public Elementary School was built here in 1871 and later enlarged to hold 292 children.
     
  • There is a new website for Burbage Junior School, but at last check there was no history.