Description in 1877:
"Burton Overy, a neat village, in a pleasant valley, 8 miles S.E. of Leicester, has in its parish, which is in Gartree Hundred, Billesdon Union, and Leicester County Court District, 469 persons, living in 106 houses, on 1,660 acres of land, watered by a rivulet, and having a strong clayey soil. The Earl of Stamford and Warrington is lord of the honor, and Sir J. H. Palmer is lord of the manor, which has been called Burton Noveray; but the soil belongs chiefly to the Rev. F. Thorp, the Misses Coleman, G. Coleman, Esq., R. Haymes, Esq., and J. Woodruffe, Esq. Hugh de Grentemaisnell had land here in 1086, and since then the land has been held by the Ferrers, Quincy, Verdun, Meynell, Noveray, and other families. The Church (St. Andrew) is an ancient structure, with a tower and three bells, and was restored in 1866-8, when it was re-seated, the chancel newly roofed, the pulpit and reading-desk erected, and the gallery removed at a cost of £700, defrayed by subscription."
White's "History, Gazetteer and Directory of the Counties of Leicester and Rutland, 3rd Edition," 1877
- The parish was in the Billesdon sub-district of the Billesdon Registration District.
- The 1851 Census for Leicestershire has been indexed by the Leicestershire & Rutland Family History Society. The whole index is available on microfiche. The society has also published it in print and Volume 11 covers the Billesdon sub-district which includes Burton Overy.
- The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
|1841||H.O. 107 / 589|
|1861||R.G. 9 / 2254|
|1871||R.G. 10 / 3228|
|1891||R.G. 12 / 2494|
- The Anglican parish church is dedicated to Saint Andrew.
- The original date of construction is not reported, although the tower is the oldest part of the church and dates from the 13th century.
- Most of the church appears to date from the 14th century or 15th.
- John HOWCROFT has a photograph of Burton Overy Church on Geo-graph, taken in September, 2016.
- The church was restored in 1864-68.
- The church roof was restored in 1907.
- The church seats 225.
- You can find more about church history at the Leicestershire Churches website.
- The church is open to visitors almost every day. The disabled will have to negotiate a few small steps to enter.
- The Anglican parish register dates from 1575, but there are gaps in baptisms from 1645 to 1653.
- The church is in the rural deanery of Gartree (second portion).
- The Congregationalists built a chapel here in 1855.
- The parish was in the Billesdon sub-district of the Billesdon registration district.
- Civil Registration began in July, 1837.
- For method of obtaining copy certificates see the Civil Registration section on our Leicestershire page.
Burton Overy is a village and a parish 8 miles south-east of Leicester city, 8 miles north-west of Market Harborough and about 98 miles north of London. The parish covers approx. 1,900 acres.
If you are planning a visit:
- By automobile, take the A6 arterial road southeast out of Leicester city and turn left (north) after passing through Great Glen. That county road should, after about a half mile, bring you to Burton Overy village. Check current maps because the webpage author's map shows a bypass under construction.
- Stop at "The Bell" public house for refreshments and visit the church across from the parking lot.
- Mat FASCIONE has a photograph of the Village Sign on Geo-graph, taken in October, 2007. This sign is on the south side of the village and looks as if someone has roughed it up for being rude. Perhaps you could create a sign more worthy of respect for the village.
- Steve ROWEE has a photograph of a newer Village Sign on Geo-graph, taken in July, 2007.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Burton Overy to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Burton Overy has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- After the Norman Conquest the parish passed into the hands of Hugh de GRENTEMESNIL.
- Much of the parish land was used for grazing. Farmers used the remainder to grow wheat, beans, oats and barley.
- In 1844 there were 20 stocking frames in the village. Stocking manufacture never seems to have developed into a factory industry here.
- Tim GLOVER has a photograph of the Bell Inn on Geo-graph, taken in April, 2009.
- See our Maps page for additional resources.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SP677979 (Lat/Lon: 52.574715, -1.002451), Burton Overy which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
The WWI War Memorial in St. Andrew's Church is an alabaster plaque on the wall with carved Christ on the cross in the centre, raised moulded border with florets and black incised lettering. Eight names are listed on the Memorial.
There is one Commonwealth War Grave in St. Andrew's Churchyard.
The Commonwealth War Grave is for (data from the CWGC site):
|John Charles COX||private||Army Service Corps||7 Sept. 1918||Age 34, husband of Mary Beet (formerly COX)|
The names listed on the War Memorial in the churchyard are:
|George COX||private||8 Btln., South Staffs Regt.||8 Nov. 1916||Age 28, No match in CWGC database|
|Harold COX||sergeant||Unable to identify in CWGC database|
|John Charles COX||private||Royal Army Service Corps||7 Sept. 1918||Age 34, he was the son of Robert Cox, a bricklayer|
|Walter COX||private||Rifle Brigade||30 Oct. 1917||Age 28, he was the son of Robert Cox, a bricklayer|
|Alfred FOX||private||8 btln., Royal West Kent Regt.||29 Mar. 1916||Age 32, he was the son of Robert Fox, a shepherd|
|Walter HERBERT||corporal||2/5 Leics. Regt.||18 Sept.1917||Age 32, he was the son of Henry John COOK|
|Alexander R. HUBBARD||private||1 btln., Sherwood Foresters||5 June 1918||Age 19, he was the son of John HUBBARD, and Sarah SANDER, a charwoman|
|Harry A. NEWTON||private||1/5 Leics. Regt.||14 Dec. 1917||Age 23, he was the son of William NEWTON, a groom, and Elizabeth NEWTON|
- In the 1086 Domesday Book the name is given as "Burtone".
- A short time later, the name appears as "Burton Novrey".
- This place was an ancient parish of the county and a modern Civil Parish until 1936.
- The parish was in the ancient Gartree Hundred (or Wapentake) in the southern division of the county.
- David THOMPSON has a photograph of the Village Hall on Geo-graph, taken in November, 2016.
- Bastardy cases would be heard in the Market Harborough petty session hearings held every other Tuesday.
- The Common Lands were enclosed here in 1766.
- Mr. WIlliam WOODWARD left the interest on £200 in 1829 to distribute as meat and bread to the poor at Christmas.
- The parish maintained its own workhouse from at least 1761 through 1836.
- As a result of the 1834 Poor Law Amendment Act, the parish became part of the Billesdon Poorlaw Union.
Year Inhabitants 1086 34 1377 72 1801 399 1811 386 1821 383 1831 418 1841 449 1851 484 1861 465 1871 469 1881 424 1891 348 1901 292 1911 304 1951 259 2001 289