Hide

Carlton Curlieu

hide
Hide

John Marius WILSON's "Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1870-72" tells us:

CARLTON-CURLIEW, a village and a parish in Billesdon district, Leicester. The village stands on an affluent of the river Welland, 2 miles NE of Kibworth r. station, and 7½ NNW of Market-Harborough. The parish includes also the township of Ilston-on-the-Hill: and its Post Town is Great Glen, under Leicester. Acres, 2,970. Real property, £4,838. Pop., 308. Houses, 61. The property is divided among a few. Carlton Curliew Hall, a Tudor edifice, is the seat of Capt. F. Sutton. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £242. Patron, Sir J. H. Palmer, Bart. The church is good; and has some old monuments.
Hide
topup

Census

  • The parish was in the Billesdon sub-district of the Billesdon Registration District.
     
  • The 1851 Census for Leicestershire has been indexed by the Leicestershire & Rutland Family History Society. The whole index is available on microfiche. The society has also published it in print.
     
  • The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
     
Census
Year
Piece No.
1841 H.O. 107 / 589
1861 R.G. 9 / 2253 & 2254
1871 R.G. 10 / 3229
1891 R.G. 12 / 2494
topup

Church History

  • The Anglican parish church is dedicated to Saint Mary.
     
  • The church was originally built in the Norman period.
     
  • The church was rebuilt in 1685.
     
  • The church was completely restored in 1880.
     
  • The church seats 120.
     
  • Andrew TATLOW has a photograph of St. Mary's Church on Geo-graph, taken in June, 2006.
     
topup

Church Records

  • The Anglican parish register dates from 1749. Earlier books have been lost.
     
  • The church is in the rural deanery of Gartree (second portion).
     
topup

Civil Registration

  • Civil Registration began in July, 1837.
     
  • The parish was in the Billesdon sub-district of the Billesdon Registration District.
     
topup

Description & Travel

Carlton Curlieu is a parish and a small village and the chapelry of Illston (Ilston) on the Hill. It is about 95 miles north of London, 9 miles southeast of Leicester city and 7.5 miles northwest of Market Harborough. Burton Overy parish lies to the west and Kibworth Harcourt parish to the south. The parish covers 1,406 acres.

If you are planning a visit:

  • By automobile, it is probably easiest to take the A6 arterial road southeast out of Leicester city through Wigston. At Kibworth Harcourt, turn left (north) and follow the country road to Carlton Curlieu.
     
You can see pictures of Carlton Curlieu which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

topup

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Carlton Curlieu has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

History

  • The parish was largely pasture, with some 100 acres used for growing wheat, beans and oats.
     
topup

Manors

  • Carlton Curlieu Hall was the seat of the Lady HAZLERIGG in 1848.
     
topup

Maps

  • See our Maps page for additional resources.
     

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SP693973 (Lat/Lon: 52.56912, -0.978971), Carlton Curlieu which are provided by:

topup

Politics & Government

  • The place was an ancient parish of Leicester county and became a modern Civil Parish when those were established.
     
  • The parish is in the ancient Gartree Hundred in the southern division of the county.
     
  • District governance is provided by the Harborough District Council.
     
topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • As a result of the 1834 Poor Law Amendment Act, the parish became part of the Billesdon Poorlaw Union.
     
  • Bastardy cases would be heard in the Market Harborough petty session hearings held every other Tuesday.
     
topup

Population

 Year Inhabitants
1801 224
1841 57
1871 59
1881 69
1891 90
1901 66
1911 93
1921 74
1931 72
1961 55
topup

Schools

  • Tthe children of this parish were attending school in nearby Burton Overy.