Hide

Coston

hide
Hide

Description in 1871:
"COSTON, a parish in Melton-Mowbray district, Leicester; on an affluent of the river Wreak, 3¾ miles NE of Saxby r. station, and 7 ENE of Melton-Mowbray. It has a post office under Melton-Mowbray. Acres, 1,745. Real property, £2,556. Pop., 179. Houses, 31. The property is divided among a few. Coston House is the seat of the Phelps. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £334. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is neat, and was recently restored."
[John Marius WILSON's "Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales," 1870-1872]

Hide
topup

Cemeteries

There is a cemetery about a mile east of Coston on the north side of the B676 road across from the Grange Farm, but the web page author could find no history or description of the cemetery.

Alan MURRAY-RUST has a photograph of some Churchyard gravestones on Geo-graph, taken in November, 2016.

topup

Census

  • The parish was in the Waltham sub-district of the Melton Mowbray Registration District until 1935.
     
  • In 1935, the parish was transfered to the Melton and Belvoir Registration District.
     
  • The 1851 Census for Leicestershire has been indexed by the Leicestershire & Rutland Family History Society. The whole index is available on microfiche. The society has also published it in print.
     
  • The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
     
Census
Year
Piece No.
1841 H.O. 107 / 587
1861 R.G. 9 / 2304
1871 R.G. 10 / 3298
1891 R.G. 12 / 2546
topup

Church History

  • The Anglican parish church is dedicated to Saint Andrew and is located on the eastern edge of the village.
     
  • The church may date back to the 13th century, although traces of 11th century architecture exist in the structure.
     
  • The church was restored in 1846.
     
  • The church is a Grade I structure with English Heritage.
     
  • The church seats 160.
     
  • Mat FASCIONE has a photograph of St. Andrew's Church on Geo-graph, taken in May, 2008.
     
  • Andrew TATLOW also has a photograph of St. Andrew's Church on Geo-graph, taken in September, 2007.
     
topup

Church Records

  • The Anglican parish register dates from 1561 (one source gives 1551).
     
  • The church is in the rural deanery of Framland (second portion).
     
  • The Salt Lake City Family History Library has Marriages at Coston, 1561 - 1812 on microfilm and microfiche.
     
  • The Family History Library also has the Bishop's transcripts for Coston, 1578 - 1877 on microfilm.
     
  • The National Burial Index (NBI) lists 206 burials between 1813 and 1891.
     
topup

Civil Registration

  • Civil Registration began in July, 1837.
     
  • The parish was in the Waltham sub-district of the Melton Mowbray Registration District until 1935.
     
  • In 1935, the parish was transferred to the Melton and Belvoir Registration District.
     
topup

Description & Travel

Coston is a small village and a small parish (until 1936) 10 miles south-west of Grantham, 7 miles east-north-east of Melton Mowbray and 120 miles north of London. The parish is in the Wold Hills and is just a few miles from the border with Lincoln county to the east and Rutland county to the south. The River Eye runs through the parish just east of the village. The parish covered about 1,766 acres.

If you are planning a visit:

  • By automobile, take the B676 arterial road east out of Melton Mowbray toward Colsterworth (Lincolnshire). The road bisects Coston village.
     
  • Alex MacGREGOR has a photograph of the Village Sign on Geo-graph, taken in August, 2013.
     
You can see pictures of Coston which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

topup

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Coston has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

History

  • Much of the parish land was held in pasturage.
     
topup

Manors

  • The webpage author could find no mention of a Manor House or Hall in Coston.
     
topup

Maps

  • See our Maps page for additional resources.
     

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK848222 (Lat/Lon: 52.790717, -0.743933), Coston which are provided by:

topup

Politics & Government

  • This place was an ancient parish of the county and a Civil Parish as well until 1936.
     
  • The parish was in the ancient Framland Hundred in the northern (or eastern) division of the county.
     
  • In April, 1936, this parish was abolished and all 1,766 acres given over to Garthorpe Civil Parish to administer.
     
  • The parish was in the ancient Framland Hundred in the northern (or eastern) division of the county.
     
  • District governance is provided by the Melton Borough Council.
     
topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • Bastardy cases would be heard in the Melton Mowbray petty session hearings.
     
  • As a result of the 1834 Poor Law Amendment Act, this parish became part of the Melton Mowbray Poorlaw Union.
     
topup

Population

 Year Inhabitants
1841 147
1861 179
1871 164
1881 133
1891 104
1901 91
1911 78
1921 75
1931 74
topup

Postal & Shipping Guides

The Coston Postcode district is LE14 2.

topup

Schools

  • The children of this parish attended school at Garthorpe.