John Marius WILSON's "Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1870-72" tells us:

COTTESBACH, a parish in Lutterworth district, Leicester; adjacent to Watling-street and the boundary with Warwick, 1¾ mile SSW of Lutterworth, and 4 SE by S of Ullesthorpe r. station. It has a post office under Lutterworth. Acres, 1,227. Real property, £2,327. Pop., 125. Houses, 23. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £282. Patron, the Rev. R. Marriott. The church is old but good, and has a tower. Wells, the author of the "Geography of the Bible," was rector.


Ian ROB has a photograph of Saint Mary's Churchyard on Geo-graph, taken in October, 2012.



  • The parish was in the Lutterworth sub-district of the Lutterworth Registration District.
  • The 1851 Census for Leicestershire has been indexed by the Leicestershire & Rutland Family History Society. The whole index is available on microfiche. The society has also published it in print.
  • The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
Piece No.
1861 R.G. 9 / 2245
1871 R.G. 10 / 3221
1891 R.G. 12 / 2489

Church History

  • The Anglican parish church is dedicated to Saint Mary.
  • The church dates from the 14th or 15th century, but the precise date is unknown.
  • The church was rebuilt, with the exception of the chancel, in 1812.
  • The church seats 140.
  • Ian ROB has a photograph of St Mary's Church basking in the sun on Geo-graph, taken in November, 2005.
  • Jonathan THACKER also has a photograph of St Mary's Church on Geo-graph, taken in December, 1986.

Church Records

  • The Anglican parish register dates from 1558.
  • The church is in the rural deanery of Guthlaxton (second portion).

Civil Registration

  • Civil Registration began in July, 1837.
  • The parish was in the Lutterworth sub-district of the Lutterworth Registration District.

Description & Travel

Cotesbach is a village and civil parish in Leicestershire, England. The parish lies only 1.5 miles due south of Lutterworth and 6 miles north of Rugby. The River Swift runs through the parish just north of the village and the parish abuts Lutterworth parish to the north. Although several food crops are grown here, most of the land has been used for pasturage. The parish covers 1,246 acres.

If you are planning a visit:

  • By automobile, take the A426 trunk road north out of Rugby or south out of Lutterworth.
  • Mat FASCIONE has a photograph of the Village Sign on Geo-graph, taken in November, 2007.
  • Stephen McKAY also has a photograph of the Village Sign on Geo-graph, taken in January, 2013.



Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Cotesbach has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.



  • The webpage author has found mention of both Cotesbach Hall and a Manor House, but no descriptions.
  • In 1881, Cotesbach Hall was the residence and property of Charles MARRIOTT. Mr. MARRIOTT was both lord of the manor and owner of all the land in the parish.
  • Mat FASCIONE has a photograph of Cotesbach Manor House on Geo-graph, taken in November, 2007.
  • Michael WESTLEY also has a photograph of Cotesbach Manor House on Geo-graph, taken in February, 2010.


  • See our Maps page for additional resources.

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SP537823 (Lat/Lon: 52.436339, -1.211715), Cotesbach which are provided by:


Military History

On the church turret is a World War One Memorial clock with a 3-foot diameter black face and cast iron dial and stout gilt copper lettering and numerals. There is an associated brass plaque within the church. These were unveiled in July, 1919.

The church is also adorned with a paper Roll of Honour in a wooden frame. The Roll lists 12 people from the village who served and notes two who died in World War One.

The Church is further adorned with a three-light stained glass window at the east end of the church, which is a memorial to three members of the MARRIOTT family who died in World War I.


Politics & Government

  • This place was an ancient parish in Leicestershire and became a modern Civil Parish when those were established.
  • The parish is in the ancient Guthlaxton Hundred in the southern division of the county.
  • You may contact the Cotesbach Parish Council regarding civic or political matters, but they are NOT able to assist you in Family History searches..
  • District governance is provided by the Harborough District Council.

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • Bastardy cases would be heard in the Lutterworth petty session hearings every other Thursday.
  • As a result of the 1834 Poor Law Amendment Act, this parish became part of the Lutterworth Poorlaw Union.


 Year Inhabitants
1871 111
1881 138
1891 109
1901 91
1911 104
1921 124
1931 136


  • The children of this parrish attended schools in Lutterworth (to the north) and Shawell (to the south).