Hide

Countesthorpe

hide
Hide

Description in 1871:
"COUNTESTHORPE, a chapelry in Blaby parish, Leicestershire; on a branch of the river Soar, and on the Midland railway, 5½ miles S by W of Leicester. It has a station on the railway, and a post office under Leicester. Acres, 1,920. Real property, £2,940. Pop., 975. Houses, 219 Some of the inhabitants arc stocking-makers. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the rectory of Blaby, in the diocese of Peterborough. The church was built in 1842, but has the tower of a previous edifice. There are chapels for Independents, Baptists, and Primitive Methodists."
[John Marius WILSON's "Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales," 1870-72]

Hide
topup

Archives & Libraries

The Countesthorpe Village Hall and Library in Station Road is a branch of the Leicester County Council Library System. It is open 5 days each week (verify by phone if you are visiting). The Library has a dedicated Local History and Family History section.

topup

Cemeteries

  • A cemetery of one acre was set aside in 1862 with two mortuary chapels. It was under the control of the parish council's burial board.
     
  • Ian ROB has a photograph of the Mortuary chapel at the Foston Road entrance to the Cemetery on Geo-graph, taken in May, 2014.
     
  • Mat FASCIONE also has a photograph of the Cemetery on Geo-graph, taken in April, 2007.
     
topup

Census

  • The parish was in the Wigston sub-district of the Countesthorpe Registration District.
     
  • The 1851 Census for Leicestershire has been indexed by the Leicestershire & Rutland Family History Society. The whole index is available on microfiche. The society has also published it in print and Volume 10 covers Countesthorpe.
     
  • The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
     
Census
Year
Piece No.
1861 R.G. 9 / 2256
1871 R.G. 10 / 3230 & 3231
1891 R.G. 12 / 2497
topup

Church History

  • The Anglican parish church is dedicated to Saint Andrew.
     
  • The origin of the church is uncertain, but was earlier than 1704.
     
  • The church was rebuilt in 1842, except for the tower.
     
  • The church seats 400.
     
  • J. THOMAS has a photograph of St. Andrew's Church on Geo-graph, taken in March, 2014.
     
topup

Church Records

  • The Anglican parish register dates from 1600.
     
  • The church is in the rural deanery of Guthlaxton (first portion).
     
  • The Leicestershire & Rutland Family History Society have indexed Countesthorpe baptisms from 1560 - 1920, burials from 1568 - 1911 and deaths from 1568 - 1911. These have been published on microfiche.
     
  • The Baptist chapel was built here in 1829.
     
  • Andrew TATLOW has a photograph of the current Baptist Church on Geo-graph, taken in August, 2006.
     
  • The Primitive Methodist chapel was built here before 1881.
     
  • Kate JEWELL has a photograph of the Methodist Church on Geo-graph, taken in August, 2006.
     
topup

Civil Registration

  • Civil Registration began in July, 1837.
     
  • The parish was in the Wigston sub-district of the Countesthorpe Registration District.
     
topup

Description & Travel

Countesthorpe is a township, a parish and a village just south of Leicester city. It is 97 miles north of London and 6 miles south of Leicester. The parish covers 1,213 acres.

If you are planning a visit:

  • By automobile, take the A426 motorway south out of Leicester city. Just south of Blaby, turn left (east) for Countesthorpe.
     
  • Railway passenger service ceased in January, 1962.
     
  • Mat FASCIONE has a photograph of the Village Sign on Geo-graph, taken in September, 2013.
     
You can see pictures of Countesthorpe which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

topup

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Countesthorpe has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

History

  • In the 1800s and early 1900s, most of the workers in the parish were frame-work knitters turning out stockings.
     
  • Ian ROB has a photograph of the Railway Inn on Geo-graph, taken in March, 2011.
     
topup

Manors

  • Countesthorpe Hall is an ancient building, formerly the seat of the PEVERIL family, the VERNONs and the RUTLAND families.
     
  • The Hall was restored about 1850 and in 1881 was the residence of the Misses STONE.
     
topup

Maps

  • See our Maps page for additional resources.
     

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SP585954 (Lat/Lon: 52.553308, -1.138629), Countesthorpe which are provided by:

topup

Military History

  • There is a War Memorial cross at the edge of St. Andrew's churchyard, by the road.
     
  • You can see the War Memorial Cross on the right side of this Ian ROB photograph of St. Andrew's on Geo-graph, taken in March, 2011.
     
  • There are 8 Commonwealth War Graves in Countesthorde cemetery: 3 from World War One..
     
topup

Military Records

The Commonwealth War Grave (data from www.CWGC.org) is for:

Name Rank Unit Died Family info.
Robert Sidney BROTHWELL Private Royal Air Force Vol. Rsrv. 20 Aug. 1943 Age 21, son of Wilfred Wright Brothwell and Florence BROTHWELL.
Douglas Arthur CHAPMAN Private Royal Army Pay Corps. 26 April 1942 Age 24, son of Mrs. S. CHAPMAN.
Henry Ernest CREASEY Leading Aircraftman Royal Air Force Vol. Rsrv. 15 May 1943  
Edward (Ted) Charles HICKFORD Aircraftman 2nd Class Royal Air Force Vol. Rsrv. 5 April 1941 Age 26, son of Owen and Ethel B. HICKFORD
Thomas Charles HILL Gunner 195 Coast Bty., Royal Artillery 23 Mar. 1945 Age 35, son of Roland and Susan HILL
John Thomas LORD Private 6th Btn., Leicestershire Regt. 17 Jan. 1916 Age 38, son of John and Ann LORD
W. C. PEET Corporal 4th Btn., Leicestershire Regt. 2 April 1916 Age 33, husband of Harriett PEET
Alfred William STAFFORD Sargeant Royal Army Veterinary Corps. 25 March 1919 Age 28, son of Alfred and Clara STAFFORD, born Peatling Marva.
topup

Politics & Government

  • This place was an ancient Chapelry in Blaby parish in Leicestershire and became a modern Civil Parish in Decmber, 1866.
     
  • The parish was in the ancient Guthlaxton Hundred in the southern division of the county.
     
  • In April, 1935, this parish was enlarged by 23 acres taken from Blaby Civil Parish.
     
  • One year later, in April, 1936, this parish was reduced by 142/ acres to enlarge Wigston Magna Civil Parish.
     
  • Countesthorpe is now part of the Leicester Urban Area.
     
  • You can contact the local Parish Council regarding civic or political issues, but they are NOT staffed to assist you with family history research.
     
  • District governance is provided by the Blaby District Council.
     
topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • As a result of the 1834 Poor Law Amendment Act, this parish became part of the Blaby Poorlaw Union.
     
  • Bastardy cases would be heard at the Leicester petty session hearings.
     
  • This parish was home to the Leicester Poorlaw Union "Workhouse Cottage Homes," about 3/4 mile west of the village, built in 1884, where 194 pauper children were housed.
     
topup

Population

 Year Inhabitants
1871 1,026
1881 1,103
1891 1,344
1901 1,429
1911 1,450
1921 1,473
1931 1,921
1951 2,109
1961 2,249
topup

Schools

  • The Public Elementary School (National School) was built about 1838 and endowed by Mr. Henry RALPH. It could accommodate 64 children. This school was rebuilt in 1914 to hold up to 200 students.
     
  • The County Council had a school built to hold 140 children.
     
  • An Infants School was built about 1873 to hold 79 children.
     
  • Leysland High School is a secondary school situated in Countesthorpe, Leicester for children aged 11-14.. It merged with Countesthorpe Community College to form Countesthorpe Leysland Community College in July 2016.
     
  • Mat FASCIONE has a photograph of the entrance to Countesthorpe Community College on Geo-graph, taken in July, 2007.
     
  • Mat FASCIONE also has another photograph of Countesthorpe Community College on Geo-graph, taken in September, 2017.