Hide

Dadlington

hide
Hide

Description in 1871:
"DADLINGTON, a chapelry in Hinckley parish, Leicester; on the Ashby-de-la-Zouch canal, 3½ miles NNW of Hinckley r. station. Post town, Hinckley. Acres, 870. Real property, £2,192. Pop., 216. Houses, 49. Stocking making is carried on. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Hinckley, in the diocese of Peterborough. The church is old and small; and there is an Independent chapel."
[John Marius WILSON's "Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales." 1870-72]

Hide
topup

Census

  • The parish was in the Market Bosworth sub-district of the Market Bosworth Registration District.
     
  • The 1851 census for Leicestershire has been indexed by the Leicestershire & Rutland Family History Society. The whole index is available on microfiche. The society has also published it in print.
     
  • The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
     
Census
Year
Piece No.
1841 H.O. 107 / 601
1861 R.G. 9 / 2263
1871 R.G. 10 / 3239
1891 R.G. 12 / 2506
topup

Church History

  • The Anglican parish church in Dadlington is dedicated to Saint James.
     
  • The church is an old building with a turret and 2 bells.
     
  • The church has had many repairs and alterations, and little of the original fabric remains.
     
  • The church chancel was restored in 1866-67.
     
  • The whole church was restored in 1890.
     
  • The church seats 100.
     
  • John SALMON has a photograph of St. James the Greater Church on Geo-graph, taken in April, 2003.
     
  • John SALMON also has a photograph of the Church chancel on Geo-graph, taken in April, 2013.
     
topup

Church Records

  • The Anglican parish register dates from 1734.
     
  • You may also want to search the parish registers at Stoke Golding.
     
  • The church was in the rural deanery of Sparkenhoe (second portion).
     
  • The Congregationalists had a small chapel here built prior to 1849.
     
topup

Civil Registration

  • The parish was in the Market Bosworth sub-district of the Market Bosworth Registration District.
     
  • Civil Registration began in July, 1837.
     
topup

Description & Travel

Dadlington is a small village and a township and was a parish 103 miles north of London, just 1 mile northeast of Stoke Golding, 3 miles northwest of Hinckley and 4 miles south of Market Bosworth. The parish covered 1,028 acres.

The village sits in the hills in southwest Leicestershire. If you are planning a visit:

  • By automobile, from the A5, just west of Hinckley, turn north for Higham on the Hill and pass through that village to get to Dadlington. Conversley, from the A447 arterial north out of Hinckley, turn left (west) at Stapleton and drive out 3 miles to Dadlington.
     
  • John SALMON has a photograph of the Village Sign on Geo-graph, taken in April, 2003. This would be a good opportunity to offer to replace their sign with something formal and historicly appropriate.
     
  • Nigel COX has a photograph of the Ashby Canal: Bridge Number 30 on Geo-graph, taken in July, 2013.
     
You can see pictures of Dadlington which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

topup

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Dadlington has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

History

  • Most of the male residents of the parish were either Framework Knitters or farmers.
     
  • The Ashby-de-la-Zouch Canal passes through this parish.
     
  • Mat FASCIONE has a photograph of the Dog & Hedgehog P. H. on Geo-graph, taken in January, 2008.
     
topup

Manors

  • The webpage author could find no description of a Hall or Manor House in his sources, although a Manor House is mentioned.
topup

Maps

  • See our Maps page for additional resources.

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SP405980 (Lat/Lon: 52.578228, -1.404104), Dadlington which are provided by:

topup

Military History

According to the Traces of War website, Dadlington churchyard contains one Commonwealth War Grave from World War I.

topup

Military Records

The Commonwealth War Grave (data from www.CWGC.org) is for:

Name Rank Unit Died Family
Walter William TOWERS private 4th Btn., Leicestershire Regt. 4 May 1917 Age 18, son of Mr. and Mrs. Henry TOWERS
topup

Politics & Government

  • This place was an ancient Township and Chapelry of Leicestershire in Hinckley parish and became modern Civil Parish in December, 1866.
     
  • The parish was in the ancient Sparkenhoe Hundred (Wapentake) in the southern (or western) division of the county.
     
  • In April, 1935, this parish was abolished and all the land amalgamated with the Sutton Cheney Civil Parish to the north.
     
topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • As a result of the 1834 Poor Law Amendment Act, this parish became part of the Market Bosworth Poorlaw Union.
     
  • Bastardy cases would be heard in the Market Bosworth petty session hearings.
     
topup

Population

Many of these figures are for the Chapelry boundaries and not the parish boundaries:

 Year Inhabitants
1841 180
1871 230
1881 170
1891 163
1901 154
1911 189
1921 212
1931 200
topup

Schools

  • The children of this place attended school at Stoke Golding.